Author's Note: How the Popemobile Works
When I started researching this story, I was surprised to discover that "popemobile" is actually the preferred term for the official papal transport. I'd heard the word before, of course, but always assumed it was a tongue-in-cheek, colloquial term. For lack of anything better to call it, I suppose. But really, how ... undignified. Even the simple term "Presidential Limo" has a lot more panache (even if it does sound like the name of a fly-by-night chauffeur service).
Can't Mercedes come up with one of their super-clever combinations of letters and numbers? The outgoing PB-XVI could get a model year upgrade to PF-I -- or something like that, anyway. It just seems like the Vatican -- no strangers to gilding the lily -- could do a little better ... but that's enough pontificating, for now.
- Davies, Alex et al. "Check Out the Cutting Edge Mercedes That Will Protect New Pope Francis." Business Insider. March 13, 2013. (March 13, 2013) http://www.businessinsider.com/the-popemobile-2013-3
- Davies, Alex. "Pope Francis Used to Ride the Bus to Work Instead of Taking His Limo." Business Insider. March 13, 2013. (March 13, 2013) http://www.businessinsider.com/new-pope-francis-rode-the-bus-in-buenos-aires-2013-3
- Dowling, Joshua. "Pope-mobile goes electric." Sydney Morning Herald. Sept. 6, 2012. (March 18, 2013) http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/popemobile-goes-electric-20120906-25g1n.html
- McCann, Jaymi. "From people's car to Popemobile: Old VW Golf set to sell for £100,000 because it once belonged to Pope Benedict." U.K. Daily Mail. Feb. 22, 2013. (March 10, 2013) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282965/From-peoples-car-Popemobile-Old-VW-Golf-set-sell-100-000-belonged-Pope-Benedict.html
- Okulski, Travis. "What's Gonna Happen to the Popemobile?" Jalopnik. Feb. 11, 2013. (March 10, 2013) http://jalopnik.com/what-s-gonna-happen-to-the-popemobile--120692526
- Palmo, Rocco. "On Day One, Pope Rides the Bus and Pays the Bills." Whispers in the Loggia. March 14, 2013. (March 17, 2013) http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2013/03/on-day-one-riding-bus-and-paying-bills.html
- Torchinsky, Jason. "This Is The First Electric Popemobile." Jalopnik. Sept. 26, 2012. (March 10, 2013) http://jalopnik.com/5940906/this-is-the-first-electric-popemobile
- Undercoffler, David. "Pope Benedict XVI gets new Popemobile from Mercedes-Benz." Los Angeles Times. Dec. 12, 2012. (March 10, 2013) http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/12/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-mercedes-benz-popemobile-20121212
- Wojdyla, Ben. "The Evolution of the Popemobile." Jalopnik. Sept. 26, 2008. (March 10, 2013) http://jalopnik.com/5054965/the-evolution-of-the-popemobile