MINI Cooper: The Next Generation
The 2007 MINI Coopers are the first models in the second generation of MINI vehicles. The 2007 models are slightly larger and more powerful than the previous generation, except for the MINI Cooper Convertible, which still uses the 2002-2006 generation design. Drivers can expect new convertibles using the 2007 coupe technology in 2008.
The MINI Cooper's engine now has 118 horsepower; the engine of the MINI Cooper S is turbocharged at 172 horsepower. The MINI Cooper Convertible and Cooper S Convertible have 115 hp and 168 hp, respectively. Apart from the basic Cooper Convertible, all models have a standard six-speed manual transmission; a 6-speed automatic transmission is optional, replacing the CVT system. The basic convertible still has a standard 5-speed manual transmission or the optional CVT system.
Several new packages are offered for the 2007 models. They include:
- Premium Package - includes automatic climate control, cruise control, steering-wheel radio controls and other options.
- Sports Package - includes an antiskid system, larger tires, front fog lights and other options.
- Hyper Sport Package - includes an advanced sports suspension with thicker anti-sway bars and streamlines the look of the MINI.
- Convenience Package - includes a universal garage door opener, automatic day/night rearview mirror, rain-sensing wipers and other options.
- Cold Weather Package - includes heated front seats, heated washer jets and heated mirrors.
- Audio Package - includes an upgraded sound system, HD radio and satellite radio subscription.
- JCW Tuning Kit - exclusive to the MINI Cooper S Convertible, this package supercharges the engine to 207 horsepower and includes a limited-slip differential and other options.
- Sidewalk Package - exclusive to the MINI Cooper S Convertible, this package includes the options in the Premium Package as well as exclusive alloy wheels and a unique interior and exterior trim.
Customization reaches a new level with the 2007 models. Owners can select from a library of graphics for roof designs, racing stripes, door handles, side view mirrors and the list goes on. Other options include bike and luggage racks, heated seats, automatic rain sensors and a host of other gadgets and accessories. The MINI USA Web site offers a "Design & Build Your Own MINI" feature with over 10,000,000 configurations.