How long will an electric car battery last? The lithium-ion battery pack in the Tesla Roadster is projected to have a lifespan of about 5 years or 100,000 miles. At the end of that time the pack will need to be replaced, at a cost of approximately $10,000. Sure, that's expensive, but the Roadster itself will cost almost $100,000, which makes the cost of the battery pack seem affordable. Many, perhaps most, owners will no doubt prefer to replace the battery pack rather than buy a brand new Roadster.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Admittedly, battery maintenance costs will add to the expense of operating any EV. The battery packs that are used in EVs will be kept tightly contained, so you'll most likely need to take your EV to the dealership to have your battery serviced. Another point to consider is that at the present time, this is a relatively new technology. As EVs become more common on the roadways, some of the high prices associated with them will decrease. But right now, the Tesla Roadster's $10,000 battery is one of our only reference points. Will the batteries in other EVs cost more? Will they cost less? Will the cost of replacing the battery in some EVs outweigh the cost of simply buying a new vehicle? Only time will tell.
|1966 Electrovair II (General Motors)||silver-zinc batteries|
|1976 Electrovette (General Motors)||lead-acid batteries|
|2005 Volvo 3CC (Volvo)||lithium-ion batteries|
|2007 Chevy Volt (General Motors)||lithium-ion batteries|
|2007 Nissan Mixim (Nissan)||lithium-ion batteries|
|2008 Continental DC (Bentley Motors)||lead-acid batteries|
|2008 Subaru Stella (Subaru)||lithium-ion batteries|
|2008 Nissan Denki Cube (Nissan)||lithium-ion batteries|
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Quiz Corner: Batteries Quiz
- How Electric Cars Work
- How Batteries Work
- How Lithium-ion Batteries Work
- How Electricity Works
- How the Tesla Roadster Works
- How Electric Motors Work
More Great Links
- Baker, David R. "Hyatt puts Tesla roadster recharging stations in 3 hotels." SFGate.
August 30, 2007.
- Buchmann, Isidor. "Is lithium-ion the ideal battery?" Battery University. November 2006.
- Buchmann, Isidor. "What's the best battery?" Battery University. November 2006.
- Doggett, Scott. "Renault Nissan Alliance Getting Recharging Stations in Place for an EV World." Green Car Advisor. July 10, 2008.
- Elfalan, Jonathan. "First Drive: 2008 Tesla Roadster." Road and Track. March 2008. http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=6393
- Fehrenbacher, Katie. "Epyon: 10-Minute Electric Car Charging." Earth2Tech. June 19th, 2008.
- Rodriguez, Bob. "Alternate Fuel Technology - Battery Electric Vehicles." ASE Blue Seal Tech News. June 28, 2001.