If your hybrid badge was cleanly removed by someone hoping to reuse or sell it, your car's paint and surrounding body panels may be OK. If so, you can likely replace the stolen badge yourself, without getting the insurance company involved.
Your hybrid is likely new, or at most, a few years old, so you should be able to order a new badge for it from the dealership. There are also badge and car brand specialists who catalog late-model car badges. You can find them through a simple online keyword search. A 2008 Ford Escape hybrid badge lists for about $35 and a pair of Toyota Prius badges will set you back around $37. Ask the parts counter person if special chemicals are needed to prepare the adhesive bond before installation.
You're biggest challenge may be getting the new badge located exactly where the old one was. Adhesive residue and surface grime on the car body may help you see where the old badge was located, so hold off on cleaning up the car until you've thought through how you'll place the new badge. Masking off the area with blue painter's tape can frame the "footprint" of the old badge. This will also help to protect the paint, while giving you a precise target for installing the new badge. If need be, you may be able to take reference photos and measurements from a dealership car.
Test the location of the new badge with a paper template, made by tracing around the badge and cutting out its shape. Use a couple of strips of masking tape to hold the template on your car once you're satisfied with the location. Then, make reference marks with a grease pencil and remove the template. Next, you'll need to carefully clean off any remaining grime and adhesive residue, taking care to retain your reference marks. You can warm the old adhesive residue with a hair dryer to make removal easier. Use a tar remover or other paint-safe product to help clean the area, too. When the paint surface looks clean, go over the location with a bit of rubbing alcohol -- but wait until after you've attached the new badge before breaking out the car wax. Practice positioning the new badge a few times before exposing the adhesive on the back. That way, you'll know just how to hold it when you're ready to apply it for good.
For more information about hybrid cars, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Brosch, Kevin. "Self Adhesive Emblem and Badges Installation Guide." (April 28, 2009) http://www.americanmuscle.com/emblem-badge-install.html
- Budget Car Rental - Peru. "Rental Contract Terms & Conditions." (April 23, 2009) http://www.budgetperu.com/en/terms.html
- California Air Resources Board. "Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers." Dec. 5, 2008. (April 24, 2009) http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
- California Department of Transportation. "FAQ -- What's an HOV lane?" (April 24, 2009) http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/faq/faq79.htm
- Conquest Auto Parts. "New Ford Hybrid Emblem." (April 24, 2009) http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/the-1816/New-Ford-HYBRID-Emblem/Detail
- Dondean.com. "Hybrid Emblem for your vehicle." (April 28, 2009) http://www.dondean.com/Hybrid-emblem.htm
- Highbeam.com. "Car badge haul prompts police warning." Sept. 29, 2006. (April 24, 2009) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-182386545.html
- HybridCars.com. "Carpool (HOV) Lanes -- California Update Feb. 2007." (April 24, 2009) http://www.hybridcars.com/local-incentives/carpool-hov-lanes.html
- HybridCars.com. "Hybrid Incentives and Rebates - Region by Region -- New Jersey; Hybrid HOV Use." (April 24, 2009) http://www.hybridcars.com/local-incentives/region-by-region.html
- Jolivette, Heidi, "Car emblems disappearing -- Two vehicle owners report stolen symbols on the same day." Iowa State Daily. March 10, 2000. (April 24, 2009) http://www.iowastatedaily.com/articles/2000/03/10/import/20000310-archive23.txt
- Kolhatkar, Neeta. "Teenage emblem thieves drive motorists up the wall." Jan. 11, 2009. (April 24, 2009) http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1220543
- Lincolnshire Echo. "Police find 30 stolen car badges." Jan. 23, 2009. (April 24, 2009) http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/999/Stolen-car-badges-plea-ownersarticle-637179-details/article.html
- TVLoop.com. "The Simpsons -- Lisa's Date with Density," Season 8, Episode 7. Dec. 15, 1996. (April 24, 2009) http://www.tvloop.com/the-simpsons/show/episodes/list/
- This is Hull and East Riding Co. "Stash of stolen Ford badges found." May 5, 2009. (April 24, 2009) http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/beverleylocal/news/Stash-stolen-Ford-badges/article-960184-detail/article.html
- TorqueCars. "De-badging a car - creating a sleeper look." 1999. (April 24, 2009) http://www.torquecars.co.uk/styling/de-badging-cars.php