Toyota made several major changes for the third-generation Prius, even though the car retains the same shape and profile as previous editions. The gasoline engine still has four cylinders, but now it also has four valves per cylinder for additional power. The electric motor gets a boost, too, up to 80 kW. The combined engine and motor output has improved to 134 horsepower, and fuel economy also increases to 51 miles per gallon (22 kilometers per liter) in the city, and 48 miles per gallon (20 kilometers per liter) on the highway.
There's only one version of the 2010 Prius, with a standard ABS, stability control, and traction control. The standard stereo gets an upgrade that can handle MP3 files, plus an auxiliary audio jack and satellite radio capability. Additional standard features include everything from simple cruise control to high solar energy absorbing (HSEA) glass.
However, the basic Prius is merely a starting point for buyers who want more options. Factory packages include a voice-activated navigation system, a solar roof panel that powers interior fans, and "Advanced Technology," which includes everything in the navigation system package plus a pre-collision system, lane assist, park assist and radar cruise control.
There's one last perk for those who want a little bling with their eco-chic: The 2010 Prius can be bought with fog lamps and 17-inch wheels.
For more information on the Toyota Prius and Toyota Prius Touring models, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Dobrin, Catherine. Michael Dobrin Public Relations. Email. April 15, 2009.
- Korzeniewski, Jeremy. "Toyota has sold over a million Prius sedans worldwide." AutoBlogGreen.com. May 15, 2008. (April 16, 2009)http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/15/toyota-has-sold-over-a-million-prius-sedans-worldwide/
- Taylor, Alex III. "The Birth of the Prius." Fortune Magazine. February 24, 2006. (April 16, 2009)http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/03/06/8370702/index.htm
- Toyota. 2009 Prius Product Information. (April 16, 2009)http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2009Prius_sfo.pdf
- Toyota. 2010 Prius Product Information. (April 16, 2009)http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2010_Prius_Product_Info_FINAL.pdf