1977 Chevrolet Vega
The 1977 Chevrolet Vega brought to an end the seven-year Vega run. Steadily declining sales and an inability to overcome a reputation for poor quality had caught up with Chevy's rear-drive subcompact cars.
Sales of the 1977 Chevrolet Vega dipped to only 78,402 cars. Notchback and hatchback coupes and the two-door wagon continued. The sporty Cosworth Vega was gone from the 1977 Chevrolet Vega line, but GT option packages were available for both the hatchback and the wagon. They included a bold new "Vega GT" lower-body decal.
A Vega GT hatchback or wagon included a sport suspension, A70x13 white-lettered tires on Rally II wheels with bright trim rings, black lower bodyside moldings, and dual sport mirrors. Inside, they got a four-spoke sport steering wheel and a special instrument panel with a tachometer and simulated woodgraining.
Wagons came in three forms: basic, GT, or Estate, each offering 46.6 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seat folded down. Estate Wagons had woodgrain vinyl paneling on the bodysides and liftgate, plus full wheel covers and a sport steering wheel.
Custom Exterior and Interior option groups could be ordered, along with the usual variety of individual accessories and conveniences. An 84-horsepower Dura-Built engine was the only powerplant available this year.
Though priced only a little higher than the stodgier Chevy Chevette subcompact, Vegas were no longer in demand, though their basic chassis and powertrain would live on for several years in the sporty Chevrolet Monza.
1977 Chevrolet Vega Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Vega|| 2,459-2,571|| $3,249-$3,745||78,402|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.