The 1975 Chevrolet Vega lineup
included this wagon, available in GT trim.
The 1975 Chevrolet Vega got the attention of car buffs when it added the high-performance Cosworth Vega to the model line. Otherwise, the 1975 Chevrolet Vega didn't undergo much change.
More significant, sales of the 1975 Chevrolet Vega sunk badly as potential customers became aware of quality and reliability woes.
Other small cars were selling strongly in the wake of the fuel crisis, but not Vegas. Announcement of a five-year/60,000-mile engine warranty at midyear helped, but not enough.
The 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega was powered by a dual-overhead-cam engine with complex Bendix fuel injection and was quite a hot number for its time. Only one color scheme was available: black with gold pinstriping. Just 2,061 were built for 1975, priced at a breathtaking $5,916 -- more than double the tariff for a regular Vega coupe.
Cosworth of England, with experience in racing, designed the 16-valve, 2.0-liter engine, which was rated at 111 horsepower. Other 1975 Chevrolet Vegas continued with engines of 78 or 87 horsepower.
As usual, hatchbacks handily outsold other body styles, with 112,912 going to customers. Like other makers of small cars, Chevrolet turned out a luxury edition, but customers failed to flock to dealerships. Only 1,255 of the well-trimmed LX notchback coupes went on sale, priced $333 above their more basic counterparts.
Vega GTs included a sport suspension and tachometer. Power brakes and a Comfortilt steering wheel became available, and optional Custom trim added plushness to a Vega's bucket-seat interior.
1975 Chevrolet Vega Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Vega|| 2,415-2,531|| $2,786-$5,916||206,239|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.