The 1977 Monza Spyder package was a
sporty addition to the 1977 Monza series.
The 1977 Chevrolet Monza was highlighted by the addition of a two new options packages, both named Spyder, but one aimed at appearance, the other
The 1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder package was actually two distinct entities: one, a $274 performance package; the other a separate $199 deal that was available on hatchbacks only and brought appearance add-ons.
The 1977 Chevrolet Monza also got a special-edition Mirage package, which arrived midyear but lasted only that half-season. The Mirage option mandated white paint and added bolt-on "aero" fiberglass panels, special sport striping, and a sport suspension. The Mirage package was inspired by a modified Monza that competed successfully on the SCCA racing circuit using a high-performance small-block V-8.
The 1977 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe now offered a dual-headlamp front end or a Sport variant that copied the 2+2's quad-lamp nose. Towne Coupe rear ends adopted tri-color taillights.
Monza dashboards contained round gauges in a brushed-aluminum instrument panel. An 84-horsepower four-cylinder engine was standard, but many Monzas were ordered with a 145-horsepower 305-cubic-inch V-8 instead. The Cabriolet Equipment group was deleted, but a Cabriolet vinyl roof and opera windows could still be installed.
Production of the 2+2 hatchback beat the Towne Coupe
by a modest margin: 39,215 to 34,133. The sales brochure touted Towne
Coupes as "smart and sassy," the 2+2 as "precise, agile and confident."
1977 Chevrolet Monza Fact
The 1977 Monza Spyder package included a
rear spoiler,as seen on this 2+2.
For more picture-packed
articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.