used the conservative rear-wheel-drive Vega chassis. But as the pictures in the
following pages make clear, the Monza had swoopier bodywork than the Vega. This
was especially true of the Monza hatchback with its Ferrari-inspired tail.
The 1975 Chevrolet Monza offered OK performance for
emissions-strangled 1975. See more pictures of classic cars.
The styling of the Chevrolet Monza was intended to complement the use of an innovative rotary engine. But Chevy shelved that idea amid concerns about the rotary’s relatively high fuel consumption and potential inability to satisfy ever-more-stringent exhaust-emission standards.
So the Chevrolet Monza instead used as its base engine the Vega’s rather anemic four-cylinder but surprised consumers by being one of the few small cars in its class to also offer a V-8 alternative.
Solid but unspectacular described both Monza’s performance and its early sales, which split about evenly between the hatchback and a conventional-roof coupe. By model year 1977, when the former Vega station wagon joined the line rechristened a Monza, sales of the car had begun to shrink. Continuation of V-8 power and several trendy trim themes couldn’t do much to boost overall demand.
Monza’s last model year was 1981, and its demise marked the end of Chevy’s efforts to produce a fun-to-drive rear-wheel-drive subcompact. Just around the corner was the Chevrolet Cavalier, which had front-wheel drive but little of Monza’s sporty spirit.
The Monza 2+2 had an attractive hatchback body style.
This is a 1979 model.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.