Chevrolet Corsica and Chevrolet Beretta shared a mechanical structure,
rather elemental chassis design, and basic four- and six-cylinder
powertrains. Both also replaced the Chevrolet Citation's squared-up
lines with trendier jelly-bean styling.
Chevrolet's 1988 Corsica compact had handsome
good looks and pretty good performance.
See more pictures of the Chevrolet Corsica.
And as you'll see in this article, Corsica, like Beretta, strayed from Chevy's compact-car mainstream to dabble in the other hot-button craze of the day: European sport-sedan flavor.
The 1989 Chevrolet Corsica LTZ model came with a V-6, tauter "sport" suspension, alloy wheels, tachometer, and minor styling alterations that to Chevy, spoke of European sophistication.
The division also looked to continental sensibilities by adding to the 1989 Chevrolet Corsica sedan a hatchback body style. To the stylists' credit, the hatchback didn't look much different from the sedan, but did furnish a more versatile approach to utility.
Utility, despite Corsica's sporty aspirations, really was this car's guiding principal through the end of its run, in model year 1996. It was a long life, too long really, given the quicker pace of change among Chevy's import-brand rivals.
But through it all, Corsica was a true Chevrolet, offering a bit of style, occasional flair, decent cabin room, and prices that put it within reach of most any American.
The 1990 Corsica's sleek interiors
didn't keep sales from dropping.
Its story starts on the next page.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.