Although the names may have changed, anticipation for Aptera's line of all electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles hasn't decreased. Originally categorized under the Typ-1 name, the new models are now identified under the Aptera 2 Series: Aptera 2e for the electric vehicle, Aptera 2h for the plug-in hybrid.
If the sleek, three-wheeled design of Aptera's plug-in hybrid model wasn't eye-catching enough, the projected fuel economy should cause a double-take -- the company expects it to achieve 300 miles per gallon (127.5 kilometers per liter). Drivers can either charge the 2h on a standard 110-volt outlet or fill up at a typical gas station. While the 2e is scheduled to come out in 2009, those interested in the 2h will have to wait a little longer, as Aptera will release that model in 2010.
For more information about hybrid cars and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Aptera.com. "Aptera - Reservations." (July 27, 2009) https://www.aptera.com/reserve.php
- Erbe, Bonnie. "Hybrid car sales down with price of gas -- are Americans so short-sighted?" U.S. News and World Report. April 21, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.usnews.com/blogs/erbe/2009/04/21/hybrid-car-sales-down-with-price-of-gas--are-americans-so-short-sighted-.html
- Motavalli, Jim. "Toyota's third-gen Prius a sales bright spot." BNET.com. June 29, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://industry.bnet.com/auto/10001803/toyotas-third-gen-prius-a-sales-bright-spot/
- Neff, John. "VS to fleet test Twin Drive Golf plug-in hybrid concept in 2010." Autoblog.com. June 26, 2008. (July 27, 2009) http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/26/vw-to-fleet-test-twin-drive-golf-plug-in-hybrid-concept-in-2010/
- Norris, Floyd. "Auto sales down? Again?" The New York Times. Feb. 27, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://norris.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/27/auto-sales-down-again/
- Richard, Michael. "19 months after its unveiling, Fisker Karma to make its public driving debut." TreeHugger.com. July 23, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/07/fisker-karma-electric-car-plug-in-hybrid-public-driving-debut-monterey.php
- Squatriglia, Chuck. "Plug-in Prius coming this year." Wired.com. June 5, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/06/plug-in-prius/
- Squatriglia, Chuck. "VW Rolls Out a Backward Hybrid." Wired.com. June 26, 2008. (July 27, 2009) http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/06/vw-rolls-out-a/
- U.S. News and World Report. "2010 Chevrolet Volt reviews, pictures and prices." (July 27, 2009) http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Volt/
- Wojdyla, Ben. "Fisker Karma gets a starting price of $87,900, we get first front shot of Tesla-killer." Jalopnik.com. Dec. 8, 2008. (July 27, 2009) http://jalopnik.com/5101490/fisker-karma-gets-a-starting-price-of-87900-we-get-first-front-shot-of-tesla+killer
Looking for a list of plug-in hybrid car models? Check out this list of plug-in hybrid cars at HowStuffWorks.