The Mazda CX-9 is a full-size crossover that offers seating for up to seven, a generous amount of power and great cargo space. The all-wheel-drive feature isn't standard but the CX-9 does come with a good amount of equipment for its starting price of about $29,000.
The CX-9 has won several awards and praises from multiple automotive sources for its overall quality and driving experience. The only engine available on the CX-9 is a 3.7-liter V-6 with 273 horsepower and 270 ft-lb. of torque, but it will get you to 60 miles per hour (96.6 kilometers per hour) in about 7.3 seconds [source: Lago]. There are three versions of the CX-9 to choose from: Sport, Touring and Grand Touring, with the latter coming in at only four thousand more than the base Sport.
The optional AWD system has a torque-splitting feature similar to other crossovers and the eight inches of ground clearance will come in handy if you decide to rough it for a few miles. If you're thinking about using the CX-9 for towing, the AWD can handle 3,500 pounds (1,588 kilograms). and an optional towing package will add heavy-duty transmission oil cooler, radiator fan and a modified engine control module to manage the engine [source: Mazda].
With the second row up the CX-9 provides just over 48 cubic feet of cargo space, but if you fold the seat flat it expands to over 100 cubic feet [source: Lago]. The steering and handling respond well according to reviews, but the fuel economy is only 16 miles per gallon (6.8 kilometers per liter) for the city and 22 miles per gallon (9.4 kilometers per liter) on the highway in the AWD version [source: Mazda]. Another positive for the CX-9 is its 5-star government crash test rating for front and side impact crashes.
If you're looking for a fun-to-drive AWD crossover that comes with a significant amount of features for the price, then you may have found just what you're looking for in Mazda's CX-9.
For lots more information about AWD crossovers, follow the links below.
- 5 Crossover Vehicles with the Best Fuel Economy
- 5 Strangest Vehicles Ever
- How Four-wheel Drive Works
- How Three-wheel Cars Work
- Why are crossovers good for retirees?
- What are the benefits of crossover vehicle design?
- What's the difference between a crossover and an SUV?
- What are the benefits of crossover vehicle design?
- Edmunds. "2011 Porsche Cayenne." (July 24, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayenne/2011/
- Edmunds. "2011 Subaru Outback Review." (July 22, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2011/?sub=wagon&features=All-wheel%20drive
- Edmunds. "Crossover Center." (July 22, 2011). http://www.edmunds.com/crossover/
- Evans, Scott. "First Drive: 2011 Jeep Compass." Motor Trend. Dec. 17, 2010. (July 20, 2011) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1012_2011_jeep_compass_first_drive/index.html
- Gillies, Mark. "2010 Mazda CX-9 AWD – Quick Test." Car and Driver. April 2010. (July 25, 2011) http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q2/2010_mazda_cx-9_awd-quick_test
- Halvorson, Bengt. "2011 Subaru Outback." TheCarConnection. Nov. 23, 2010. (July 22, 2011) http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1051847_2011-subaru-outback
- Jeep. "Jeep Compass." (July 22, 2011). http://www.jeep.com/hostc/models/CUJ201102/bmo/selectModel.do
- Karesh, Michael. "Review: 2011 Nissan Juke Take Two." TheTruthAboutCars. June 10, 2011. (July 22, 2011) http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/review-2011-nissan-juke-take-two/
- Lago, Carlos. "First Test: 2011 Mazda CX-9 AWD." Motor Trend. March 4, 2011. (July 25, 2011). http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1103_2011_mazda_cx_9_awd_test/index.html
- Markus, Frank. "2011 Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year: Porsche Cayenne." Motor Trend. December 2010. (July 24, 2011) http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/1012_2011_motor_trend_sport_utility_of_the_year_porsche_cayenne/index.html
- Mazda. "CX-9 Awards and Reviews." (July 25, 25, 2011) http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsAwards&vehicleCode=CX9
- Mazda. "CX-9 Specifications." (July 25, 2011) http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=CX9
- Memmer, Scott. "Stability Control: Get Your Yaw-Yaws Out!" Edmunds. May 5, 2009. (July 24, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/stability-control-get-your-yaw-yaws-out.html
- Nissan. "Juke Specifications." (July 24, 2011) http://www.nissanusa.com/juke/specifications.html
- Nissan. "Torque Vectoring Video." (July 24, 2011) http://www.nissanusa.com/jukevideos/mobile/Juke_AWD.mp4
- Porsche. "Cayenne Models." (July 25, 2011) http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/
- Pund, Daniel. "Chrysler-Jeep Press Conference: Jeep Product Plan." Inside Line. Nov. 4, 2009. (July 23, 2011) http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/11/chrysler-fiat-press-conference-jeep-product-plan.html
- Roy, Rex. "First Drive: 2011 Jeep Compass." Autoblog. Dec. 17, 2010. (July 20, 2011) http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/17/2011-jeep-compass-first-drive-review-road-test/
- St. Antoine, Arthur. "2010 Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year: Subaru Outback." Motor Trend. October 2009. (July 22, 2011) http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/112_0912_2010_suv_of_the_year_winner/index.html
- Wasef, Basem. "2011 Nissan Juke Test Drive." Popular Mechanics. June 2, 2010. (July 23, 2011) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/preview/2011-nissan-juke-test-drive
What are the best reasons to buy a crossover vehicle? Read about 5 reasons to buy a crossover vehicle at HowStuffWorks.