Vehicles are available in many different configurations to suit a customer's budget and needs. For example, optional airbags might not be a priority to a car buyer who rarely carries passengers. If you're interested in a certain car, you should read up on its crash test data. Side curtain airbag quantity alone doesn't tell the whole story -- some vehicles will use one airbag to cover all windows whereas others will use a separate airbag for each window.
We're able to see how side curtain airbags affect safety scores by studying Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) crash tests conducted on cars with and without side curtain airbags. The IIHS notes that side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories, but for simplicity's sake, we'll focus on comparisons of the same vehicle. The rating system follows this scale: Good, Acceptable, Marginal and Poor.
First, we'll look at a 2002-2006 Toyota Camry without side curtain airbags and a 2004-2006 Camry with side curtains. (The discrepancy in model year range reflects the addition of the side curtain airbags for 2004; though it is described on the IIHS site as "side structural changes," Toyota reported that these changes alone would not affect test results without the airbags.)
The Camry without side curtain airbags was given an overall rating of Poor. For head protection, its driver safety rating was Poor and the rear passenger rating was Marginal [source: IIHS]. But the Camry with side curtains was rated Good overall, with Good ratings for both driver and rear passenger head protection [source: IIHS].
For car buyers who've got soccer practice duty, IIHS also tested the 2006-2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. Again, side curtain airbags were responsible for an increase in driver and passenger safety. The minivan without side curtains rated Poor overall, Poor for driver head protection, and Marginal for rear passenger head protection [source: IIHS]. However, the minivan with side curtains earned an Acceptable overall rating, with Good ratings for driver and rear passenger head protection [source: IIHS].
On the next page, you'll find lots more information about airbags and other automotive safety features.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Consumer Guide Automotive
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Automotive News via MEMA Publications. "Side-Curtain Airbag Business in N.A. Is Ready for Takeoff." Feb. 6, 2006.http://www.mema.org/publications/articledetail.php?articleId=2292
- Autoliv, Inc. "Driver Airbags" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/frontal+airbags/driver+airbags
- Autoliv, Inc. "Head Thorax Bag" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/side-impact+airbags/head+thorax+bag
- Autoliv, Inc. "Inflatable Curtain" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/side-impact+airbags/inflatable+curtain
- Autoliv, Inc. "Passenger Airbags" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/frontal+airbags/passenger+airbags
- Autoliv, Inc. "Pelvis-Thorax Bag" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/side-impact+airbags/pelvis+and+thorax
- Autoliv, Inc. "Thorax Bag" (11-2-08)http://www.autoliv.com/wps/wcm/connect/autoliv/home/what+we+do/airbags/side-impact+airbags/thorax+bag
- Benton, Joe. "Feds Require Side Curtain Airbags by 2013." Consumer Affairs. Sept.6, 2007.http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/nhtsa_airbags.html
- BMW press release via The AutoChannel.com. "BMW Head Protection System Sets New Standard in Side-Impact Protection in Latest IIHS Crash Test." Oct. 30, 1997.http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19971030/press007605.html
- Evarts, Eric. "Saab, Volvo best in first-ever IIHS convertible crash tests." Consumer Reports blog. May 31, 2007.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/05/convertible_cra.html
- Government of South Australia Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure. "Road Safety: Design & technology." (11-1-08)http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/roadsafety/safer_vehicles/new_technologies
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Dodge Grand Caravan crash test ratings with optional side airbags." (11-1-08)http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=646
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Dodge Grand Caravan crash test ratings without optional side airbags." (11-1-08)http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=647
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Toyota Camry crash test ratings with optional side airbags." (11-1-08)http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=251
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Toyota Camry crash test ratings without optional side airbags." (11-1-08)http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=287
- Mello, Tara Balkus "Who Benefits From Side and Head Airbags?" Edmunds.com. (11-5-08)http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/105563/article.html
- Memmer, Scott. "Ford Introduces Rollover Protection for SUVs." Edmunds.com (11-4-08)http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/43821/article.html
- NEC Electronics Europe. "IMAPCAR - the solution to automotive embedded image processing." (11-3-08)http://www.eu.necel.com/applications/automotive/070_imapcar/index.html
- Newcomb, Doug. "Toyota Rear Curtain Airbag System Watches Your Back in the Micro iQ. Edmunds blog. October 1, 2008.http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2008/10/toyota-rear-curtain-airbag-system-watches-your-back-in-the-micro-iq.html
- Popular Science. "Volvo C70 Side-Curtain Airbag." Nov. 8, 2005.http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2005-11/volvo-c70-side-curtain-airbag
- Richard, Michael Graham. "Toyota iQ Microcar to be First in the World With Rear Curtain Airbag." Treehugger.com. September 30, 2008.http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/toyota-iq-rear-curtain-airbag-small-car-safety.php
- SaferCar. "Side-Impact Air Bags." (10-30-08)http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.13dd5c887c7e1358fefe0a2f35a67789/?vgnextoid=13823613ffffe110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD
- Venkatesh, Prashanth. "MEMS in Automotive and Consumer Electronics." Sensors. Nov. 1, 2007.http://auto.sensorsmag.com/sensorsauto/Automotive/MEMS-in-Automotive-and-Consumer-Electronics/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/474311
- Wardlaw, Christian. "2006 Volvo C70 Review."http://www.myride.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/2151
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). "Airbag Safety Device." (11-8-08)http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=1999047387
- World Intellectual Property Organization. "Method of Manufacturing a Side-Curtain Airbag." (11-2-08)http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=US2002004001&DISPLAY=DESC