Author's Note: Are teens more likely to die in a car accident than adults?
When you're a teenager, all you can think of is getting your driver's license. While driving is a rite of passage, it is also a responsibility. Consider these facts when your teenager asks for the car keys. Researchers say that teen drivers who say their parents set rules and pay attention to what their children do are half as likely to be involved in a motor vehicle accident. Teens who can drive whenever they want are more than twice as likely to be involved in a crash as opposed to those who share a car. Safe driving, it seems, is everyone's business.
- AAA Foundation. "Nationwide Review of Graduated Driver Licensing." February 2007. (Nov. 10, 2013) https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/default/files/NationwideReviewOfGDL.pdf
- CBS Los Angeles. "Driver in OC CrashThat Killed 5 Teens Had Clean Toxicology Report." June 27, 2013. (Nov. 11, 2013)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Injury Prevention & Control: Motor Vehicle Safety. (Nov. 8, 2013) http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html
- Flaccus, Gillian. "Car Crash in Orange County Kills 5 Teens After Vehicle Splits in Half." The Huffington Post. May 28, 2013. (Nov. 8, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/5-teens-killed-in-fiery-orange-county-car-crash_n_3346300.html
- Goldberg, Alan B. "Drunken Driving Crash Shattered Teen's Life." ABC News. June 2, 2009. (Nov. 10, 2013) http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=7726721&page=1
- Juva-Brown, Theresa. "Experts say teen drivers need more practice." USA Today. Sept. 9, 2013. (Nov. 8, 2013) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/09/experts-say-teen-drivers-need-more-practice/2786891/
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). "Sentencing and Dispositions of You DUI Land Other Alcohol Offenses." (Nov. 8, 2013) http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/alcohol/youthdui/section3.html
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). "Traffic Safety Facts." April 2013. (Nov. 9, 2013) http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811744.pdf
- Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation. "Minimum Drinking Age of 21 Slaves Lives, Study Finds." Science Daily. July 3, 2008. (Nov. 10, 2013) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701083542.htm