Lots More Information
Do you hold your breath when you're driving through a tunnel? HowStuffWorks looks at a survey exploring driving superstitions.
Author's Note: 10 Tips for Teaching Your Kid to Drive
The first time I sat in the driver's seat, my mom sent me out to back the car up a bit in the driveway so it wasn't under the basketball hoop. I was maybe 10. I didn't know which pedal was which, and I nearly backed into the house across the street.
The second time, my dad pulled his ancient, bare-bones Jeep Wrangler over on a deserted dirt road after dark and let me get in the driver's seat -- for about three minutes. I was maybe 14.
It was a long time before I drove again. I'm old enough that smartphones were science fiction when I was 16, but I really didn't want to be bothered learning to drive. My best friend had a car she loved, and driving me around gave her an excuse to drive. Why would I give up my personal town car service?
I did, eventually, get proper driving lessons from just about everyone, and I passed my driving test when I was 17. My mom, my dad, my grandparents, my aunt and even my college friends got in on the act when they taught me to drive a stick shift in their ratty old VW Fox. I'm sure that not one of these people ever thought I'd write about cars for a living after that series of lessons.
- Allstate. "Be a Great Driving Instructor for Your Teen." Allstate.com. (Oct.16, 2013) http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=yd&subject=yd_shop&story=teeninstruct&referer=advice&year=&aff=national
- Bargman, Joe. "15 Tips for Teaching a Teenager to Drive." Popular Mechanics. (Oct. 16, 2013) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/15-tips-for-teaching-a-teenager-to-drive
- Metlife. "Teaching Your Teen to Drive." TeenDriving.com. (June 27, 2012) http://www.lhj.com/relationships/family/raising-kids/teaching-your-teen-to-drive/
- Muller, Joann. "Driver's Ed: What a Veteran Auto Writer Learned Teaching Her Teen to Drive." Forbes.com. Aug. 25, 2013. (Oct. 16, 2013) http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/06/25/drivers-ed-what-a-veteran-auto-writer-learned-teaching-her-teen-to-drive/
- Patri, Lilan. "Teaching Your Teen to Drive." Ladies' Home Journal. (June 27, 2012) http://www.lhj.com/relationships/family/raising-kids/teaching-your-teen-to-drive/
- Russell, Richard. "Teaching your kid to drive? Beware your bad habits." Globe and Mail. March 6, 2012. (June 27, 2012) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/teaching-your-kid-to-drive-beware-your-bad-habits/article551512/
- State Farm. "Building Driving Skills 1." StateFarm.com. (Oct. 16, 2013) http://teendriving.statefarm.com/teaching-a-teen-to-drive/developing-your-teens-skills/building-driving-skills-1
- TeenDriving.com. "Driving Tips." TeenDriving.com. (Oct. 16, 2013) http://teendriving.com/driving-tips/getting-started/