Though Todd "The Onion" Bodine has stopped racing in one of his three NASCAR circuits, the Nextel Series, he has not given up on his competitive nature. Now as the host of the annual Geoff Bodine Bobsled Challenge in New York, Bodine said that racing is all about the competition. Whether he is racing in a stock car, truck or an unconventional bobsled, Bodine acknowledged that the driving force of most race car drivers is their desire to win [source: Seattle Times].
Bodine helped his family at their Chemung Speedrome by working there when he was young. Though he grew up in a family of drivers and racetrack owners, the racing bug did not infect Todd Bodine until he was 13 years old. Seeing his older brothers Geoff and Brett race was an inspiration to him to get behind the wheel himself [source: Team Onion].
Bodine got a taste of the major NASCAR racing series in 1986 as a racer in the Busch Nationwide Series. Some would argue that Bodine's most successful run as a racer has been in the Busch Series, and it has definitely been his longest. He has had 15 victories in the Busch Series over the course of his career [source: NASCAR].
Bodine then jumped into the driver's seat of a car for the Sprint Cup Series in 1992. Over the course of the 15 seasons Bodine raced in the Winston/Nextel Cup Series, he fluctuated between full and part-time racing.
Bodine could not let the third NASCAR beast -- the Craftsman Truck Series -- go untamed. He participated in five races for the Craftsman Truck Series in 1995, and then took nearly a decade hiatus while racing in the other two NASCAR disciplines. He came back to the Truck Series in 2004, and continues racing in the series for Stephen Germain's team, the Lumber Liquidators [source: Racing Reference].
For more information on stock car racing and related topics, visit the links on the next page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Mahalo. "Todd Bodine." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://www.mahalo.com/Todd_Bodine
- NASCAR. "Driver Profile." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/tbodine00/cup/bio.html
- NASCAR. "Todd Bodine." (Accessed 1/12/09) http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/tbodine00/bg/index.html
- Racing Reference. "Todd Bodine." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://www.racing-reference.info/driver?id=bodinto01
- Racing Reference. "Todd Bodine." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet?id=bodinto01&yr=2008&series=C
- Seattle Times. "People in Sports." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2008588069_peep04.html
- Team Onion. "Todd's Bio." (Accessed 1/10/09) http://www.teamonion.net/bio.php