According to Mr. Hussain, the hard work in establishing a new type of motorcycle racing has already been accomplished. And since the rules and regulations were designed to be used worldwide, in 2010 they will.
The TTXGP at the Isle of Man TT circuit has its second go-round May 29th through June 11th, 2010. Racers have to complete two laps this time, for a total of 75.5 miles (121.5 kilometers). Keeping it close to home, a four-race TTXGP U.K. Championship has been announced as well.
A four-round series in the United States will also take place in 2010. The first race date is May 14-16, at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., and the remaining three dates will be announced as soon as plans are finalized.
Hussain, as an electronics entrepreneur, is excited to see what the entries look like for the Sonoma race. In the United States, he said, "It's a competition of doing things. I'm doing things my way, you're doing things your way. Let the market decide, let the spectators decide, whatever."
As teams are able to get more practice and technology continues to improve, speeds will rise and electric-powered motorcycles will gain equal footing with their gasoline-powered counterparts. The Mavizen TTX02, an electric racing bike produced by Hussain's company, is expected to reach a triple-digit top speed. Engineers worked with the builders of the Agni 101 (the bike that won the first TTXGP) to create the TTX02, which will be limited to a run of just 50 units.
But you don't have to buy a Mavizen TTX02 to go racing. "We are not a one-make race series," said Hussain. "We are not saying you have to buy or use our bike. You don't even have to buy the entire bike -- we will sell you bits of it. If you want this bit, that's cool. If you want the whole thing, that's cool. If you want to do your own thing, that's cool, too. Here are the rules. As long as we meet these rules, we're good to go." And, of course, go fast.
For more information about the TTXGP, motorcycles and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Barefoot Motors. (Oct. 26, 2009) http://www.barefootmotors.com/index.php?id=home
- Brammo. (Oct. 26, 2009) http://www.brammo.com/racing/
- Hussain, Azhar. Owner, Mavizen. Personal interview. Conducted Nov. 4, 2009.
- Institution of Engineering and Technology. "IET announced as official technical advisors to TTXGP." April 1, 2009. (Oct. 30, 2009)http://www.theiet.org/about/media-centre/press-releases/20090401.cfm
- Isle of Man TT. (Oct. 30, 2009) https://www.iomtt.com/
- Mavizen. (Oct. 26, 2009) http://www.mavizen.com/
- Squatriglia, Chuck. "Another Electric Superbike Is Coming." Wired.com. Oct. 23, 2009. (Oct. 30, 2009) http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/10/another-electric-superbike-is-coming/
- TTXGP. (Oct. 26, 2009) http://www.egrandprix.com/index.php
- TTXGP. "The eGrand Prix: Technical Rules -- 2010 Race Season." (Oct. 30, 2009) http://www.egrandprix.com/files/TTXGP_2010_Rules.pdf
- TTXGP. "World's First Production Supersport Bike born on the Isle of Man TTXGP goes live in Las Vegas." Oct. 18, 2009. (Oct. 26, 2009)http://blog.ttxgp.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=93&blogId=1