While this might not be a typical car stunt, it does have all the ingredients of a scary stunt car feat: a car, high altitude and some thrill-seeking adventurers.
A group of skydivers in Arizona periodically roll out of the back of planes sitting in old convertibles and then jump out of the car to complete the dive. Sometimes seating up to four or five people in the convertible at once, the divers remain seated in the car as it's pushed out of the back of the plane. After a few seconds of sitting the car, the divers then jump out, while the convertible continues to plummet earthward, usually spinning and flipping end over end in the process.
During one such jump, skydiver Olof Zipster (after pushing the car out of the plane), jumped out to film the car's free-fall to the ground. He ended up getting a little too close to the vehicle and it suddenly flipped and hit Zipster in the head. Another skydiver, who was filming the jump as well, caught the entire incident on tape. While the other jumpers landed safely, they wondered where Zipster was. The impact had given Zipster a concussion, but fortunately, he was still able to open his parachute and land safely.
For more information about stunts, cars and other related topics, jump to the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- BlameItOnTheVoices.com. "Car Rope Walking Stunt." May 14, 2008. (Feb. 4, 2010)http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2008/05/car-ropewalking-stunt.html
- Conley, Kevin. "That Was Awesome." Slate.com. July 6, 2009. (Feb. 3, 2010)http://www.slate.com/id/2221388/pagenum/all/#A
- Discovery. "Moments of Impact: Skydiver Hit By Car." Sept. 25, 2009. (Feb. 5, 2010)http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/moments-of-impact-skydiver-hit-by-car.html
- Internet Movie Database. "The Man With the Golden Gun - 1974." (Feb. 4, 2010)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071807/trivia
- Lelouch, Claude. "C'était un Rendezvous." (Feb. 4, 2010)http://www.vimeo.com/757553
- Weiner, Adam. "Riverjump." Popular Science. July 14, 2008. (Feb. 3, 2010)http://www.popsci.com/breakdown/article/2008-07/riverjump
- YouTube.com. "Top Gear Stuntman: MG Maestro 360-degree spin Jump." (Feb. 3, 2010)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhZXDM87izE
HowStuffWorks tagged along during the 2018 Rebelle Rally to see what the women-only rally is all about. We learned it's way more than just navigation.