Practice Makes Perfect
Before heading out onto the road and surrounding yourself with angry drivers and tractor-trailer trucks, the best thing you can do to ensure a safe towing trip is to practice driving.
Choose an area that's far away from traffic, like an empty parking lot, and perform simple driving tasks with everything hitched up. Try backing up and using your mirrors, and pay close attention to the vehicle's turning radius. Learn to accelerate and brake slowly on longer stretches of road -- remember, the more weight you're carrying, the longer it's going to take to slow down.
Once you have the perfect tow vehicle and all the right equipment, sticking to these few simple tips can turn a bumpy ride into an easygoing one. To learn more about towing and towing essentials, see the next page.
- How Leaf Springs Work
- How Loading and Unloading Towed Vehicles Works
- What does it mean to call a pickup truck a 'half-ton truck'?
- How Backing Up Towed Vehicles Works
- How Boat Towing Safety Works
- How Launching a Boat Works
- How to Brake While Towing
- How to Shift While Towing
- How to Turn While Towing
- How to Pass While Towing
- Curiosity Project: What classifies a car as a luxury car?
- Caravan and Camping South Australia. "Towing tips & hints." (Sept. 15, 2008) http://www.caravanandcampingsa.com.au/page.asp?parentid=22&parent2id=95
- eTrailer.com. "Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions." (Sept. 29, 2008)http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx
- eTrailer.com. "Tips on how to tow a trailer." (Sept. 15, 2008) http://www.etrailer.com/faq_trailertowtips.aspx
- Haulmark.com. "Towing tips." Universal Trailer Corporation. (Sept. 15, 2008) http://www.haulmark.com/php/resource.center/towing.tips.php
- The Volvo Owners Club. "Towing tips." Jan. 2008. (Sept. 15, 2008) http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/towing.shtml
- Your RV Lifestyle. "Ten towing tips." (Sept. 15, 2008) http://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/towing-tips.html
A gear ratio and tire size chart is essential to making your vehicle efficient. Check out this comprehensive gear ratio and tire size chart from HowStuffWorks.