Installing a Transmission Cooler
After you've chosen your transmission cooler, it's time to install it. Transmission cooler kits usually come with all the necessary tools, hardware and directions to install it yourself.
First, you'll want to consider exactly where you want to mount your transmission cooler -- there's not exactly a specific spot inside your engine compartment where you're required to place it, so you're given a little room to be creative; however it's still important to place it somewhere where you'll get the most efficiency out of the cooler. If you mount your transmission cooler behind your bumper, for example, there's little chance of it being very efficient since it relies heavily on airflow. Mounting the cooler in front of the radiator and the air conditioning condenser is typically considered the best place. Here, they'll receive a sufficient amount of airflow, yet stay somewhat clear of road debris like rocks.
Transmission coolers are typically square-shaped and thin, so they can easily attach in between other components. Most kits offer adhesive mounting pads that allow you stick the cooler right onto the radiator, but there are also usually extra mounting rods that you can insert between the radiator and the cooler's mounting flanges. You should hook up all of the proper inlet and outlet hoses between the cooler and the transmission -- after all, that's how the transmission cooler delivers the cooled fluid to the transmission. It's also a good idea to make sure you keep the hoses away from any hot or moving parts. Heat would counteract the cooler's effort, and a moving part (like a fan) could sever the line.
For lots more information on transmission coolers and other towing accessories, see the links that follow.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Leaf Springs Work
- How to Load and Unload Towed Vehicles
- How Backing Up Towed Vehicles Works
- How Boat Towing Safety Works
- How Launching a Boat Works
- What's the safest way to brake when I'm towing?
- How to Brake While Towing
- How to Shift While Towing
- How to Turn While Towing
- How to Pass While Towing
- How Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Works
More Great Links
- AutoMedia.com. "Transmission coolers." (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.automedia.com/Transmission_Coolers/pht20011001tc/1
- Automotive Accessories Connection. "Transmission oil coolers." (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.accessconnect.com/oilcoolers.htm
- eTrailer.com. "Transmission coolers." (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.towtown.com/catalog/c49.html
- Transmission Cooler Guide and Installation. "Automatic transmission coolers and engine cooling products." Bulkpart.com. 2008. (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.bulkpart.com/transmission-cooler.html
- TransmissionCoolers.us. "Choosing the correct transmission cooler." (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY& Category_Code=guide
- U-Haul.com. "Transmission coolers." (Sept. 22, 2008) http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/transmission-cooler.aspx