Spare Tire Mount Kits
You've taken a close look at your vehicle or trailer and evaluated your spare tire needs. You have even read up on how to install it. The last thing you want is to get home from the automotive parts store and find out that you have to make a second trip because you're missing a few essential items. Luckily, many stores sell spare tire mount kits to ensure you have everything you need to make it all come together.
The exact contents of a tire mount kit depend entirely on the variety of spare tire mount you've decided on. For instance, some tongue or frame mount kits include the spare tire mount and the bolts, screws and back pieces required to attach and assemble it. But while one manufacturer includes all the necessary parts in a kit, others don't -- and you're on your own for tools. While a kit such as this is more general, other kits work with specific vehicle models.
Think of those kids' snack packs that contain crackers, a little cup of cheese and a plastic spreading paddle. They include everything you need to assemble a few cheese and cracker sandwiches. If you want peanut butter and crackers, however, you'll need a different kit. If you were able to wrap your head around this fact of life in second grade, then you're well prepared for the realities of purchasing a spare tire mount kit. Make sure you know what you need, ask a professional if necessary and check to make sure the spare tire mount kit has all the necessary pieces.
You can haul far more than spare tires with vehicles and trailers. Explore the links below to learn much more about towing.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Top 10 Towing Risks to Keep in Mind
- How Trailer Towing Safety Works
- 10 Tips for Easy Towing
- How Loading and Unloading Towed Vehicles Works
- How Backing Up Towed Vehicles Works
- How Boat Towing Safety Works
- How Launching a Boat Works
- How to Brake While Towing
- How to Shift While Towing
- How to Turn While Towing
- How to Pass While Towing
More Great Links
- Etrailer.com. 2008 (Oct. 15, 2008)http://www.etrailer.com/
- StreetSideAuto.com. 2008 (Oct. 15, 2008)http://www.streetsideauto.com
- "U-Haul Towing Glossary." U-Haul. 2008 (Oct. 15, 2008)http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/glossary/
- "Wheel Tech Information." Tire Rack. 2008 (Oct. 15, 2008)http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92