The most important problem in towing trailers is that they sway. Air pressure changes and wind turbulence can move the trailer in a direction opposite the tow vehicle. To counter this effect, you can purchase packages that contain antisway bars or weight-distribution hitches. These devices connect the tow vehicle and the trailer in more than one place (the ball mount). The extra attachment points help to stabilize the trailer.
Imagine holding on to a person over the side of a building with one hand. The suspended person can rotate freely about the one hand. Now, imagine that two or three people are holding on to that suspended person at different places. Suddenly the suspended person has much less freedom of movement. Antisway bars work in much the same manner. Kits are available to add antisway bars to existing hitches. Depending upon the type, antisway bars can range from $200 to $600 or more.
Why don't you set all those new towing accessories down and roll over to the next page for tons more towing content?
- Berger, Mike. "Tow the Line - What You Need to Safely Handle a Trailer." Handyman Club of America Magazine, August 2006. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.snowbear.com/page/Tow_The_Line
- Cook, Miles. "How to Tow a Trailer." 2008. Edmunds.com. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/44921/article.html
- Cook, Miles. "Trailer Towing Q&A." Edmunds.com. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/44921/page001.html
- Johnston, Jeff. "Towing Package Essentials." Trailer Life Magazine, February 2008. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=1452151
- Smith, Bruce W. "The Art of Towing - Tips, Ideas, and Hard-Learned Lessons." Motor Trend's Truck Trend. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_0812_towing_tips_and_lessons/index.html
- Tellem, Tori. "Towing Parts Buyer's Guide: Everything but the Truck." Motor Trend's Truck Trend. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.trucktrend.com/features/gear/163_0812_towing_parts_and_accessories/index.html
- TrailerLife magazine. "Your Guide to Towing 2008." (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.trailerlife.com/SharedCode/tlford/index.cfm
- U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "Towing a Trailer." April 2002. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/towing/index.htm
Trailer bearing protectors are a great way of prolonging the life of your bearings. Learn about trailer bearing protectors at HowStuffWorks.