Motorcycle Brake Shims
In addition to shielding heat and reducing noise, motorcycle brake shims are an important alignment aid. If a wheel isn't perfectly centered, a motorcycle brake shim inserted between the brake and rotor can bring it to true.
Since motorcycles don't usually generate the kind of heat that racecars do, the types of motorcycle brake shims you'll find are usually of the stick-on rubber variety, rather than titanium. These rubber brake shims reduce noise and vibration, making for a more comfortable ride. They also protect the brake pistons from overheating, which improves safety.
The shims also function to snug the friction surface of the brake pads against the rotors. The more of the friction surface that comes into contact with the rotors, the more stopping power the brake parts will be able to generate.
Though the humble brake shim serves a simple purpose and sometimes is an underestimated brake part, its assistance in wheel alignment and bettering maximum braking power is important. It helps reduce uneven wear and tear on brakes and increases the safety, giving both bike and rider a smoother and more comfortable ride.
If you have a need for speed and want to know more about the brake shim or another brake part, shimmy on over to the next page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- "360 Brake: Installation Instructions." 360 Brake. MC Advantages. 9/19/2008. (10/28/2008) http://www.mcadvantages.com/documents/support/NewInstallationInstructions _rev_091_9E689CF128D1C.pdf
- Austin, J. "How to Install Hawk Brake Pads and TakSpeed Titanium Shims." Volvo-R.com. (10/28/2008) http://www.volvo-r.com/forum/index.php?topic=76.0
- Carley, Larry. "Using Shims to Correct Wheel Alignment." Babcox Publications. (10/28/2008) http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf20044.htm
- "Frequently Asked Questions." Monroe Brakes. (10/28/2008) http://www.monroebrakes.com/support/faq.asp#7
- "Heat Management." Trackpedia. (10/28/2008) http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Heat_Management
- "How to Change Brakes the Easy Way." Discount-Trailer-Parts.com. (10/28/2008) http://www.discount-trailer-parts.com/how-to-change-brakes.html
- Ti Speed Web site. (10/28/2008) http://tispeed.com/
- Trotter, Brian. "Brake Pad Replacement for 97-00 Pontiac Grand Prix's." GrandPrix Net. (10/28/2008) http://www.grandprix.net/brakes/brakepad.htm
- Woo, Andy. "Changing Brake Pads." Internet Z Car Club. (10/28/2008) http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/BrakePads/BrakePads.html