Now, while we said the Audi R8 was slightly more practical than the average supercar, that doesn't mean you'll be able to drive the soccer carpool in it.
Inside, the R8 has a luxurious interior, but it only seats two. Plus, the engine is directly behind the seats -- so there isn't a lot of in-cabin storage available, either.
But those concerns really don't matter for supercar shoppers. What does matter is that the R8's interior is swathed in the high-quality leather Audi is known for, with precise stitching and tasteful accents. However, just because the interior is luxurious doesn't mean it's not built for performance as well.
Take the seats: While they're posh, they're sculpted sport seats as well. They're engineered to hug the occupants' hips and shoulders, keeping them secure through turns. You may not think that matters -- after all, how hard can it be to sit in a chair? But at the speeds the R8 is capable of reaching it would be tough to hold the car through a turn if you had to also worry about holding your rear end in the seat. And, if you have an R8, with either one of its powerful engines, throwing it through turns at high speeds is exactly what you'll want to do.
For more information about the Audi R8 and other supercars, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Car Smarts: Exotic Cars
- How the Bugatti Veyron Works
- How the Caparo T1 Works
- How Car Engines Work
- How Horsepower Works
- How the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Works
- What will speed mean in the future?
- What's the fastest car in the world?
- What's the most expensive American car ever sold?
- How does a laser speed gun work to measure a car's speed?
More Great Links
- Audi of America. "2010 Audi R8 4.2 -- Features and Specifications." (Feb. 23, 2010)http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/r8.html#source=http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/r8/features_and_specifications.html
- Audi of America. "2010 Audi R8 5.2 -- Features and Specifications." (Feb. 23, 2010)http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/r8_52.html#source=http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/r8_52/features_and_specifications.html
- Muaddi, Nadeem. "2010 Audi R8." U.S. News Automotive. April 30, 2010. (Feb. 23, 2010)http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Audi_R8/
- Lieberman, Jonny. "Frankfurt 2009: 2010 Audi R8 Spyder 5.2 V10 looks fantastically fab" Autoblog. Sept. 15, 2009. (Feb. 23, 2010)http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/15/frankfurt-2009-2010-audi-r8-spyder-5-2-v10-looks-fantastically/
- Lienert, Paul. "2009 Frankfurt Auto Show: Audi R8 e-Tron." Edmunds Inside Line. Sept. 15, 2009. (Feb. 23, 2010)http://www.insideline.com/audi/e-tron-concept/2009-frankfurt-auto-show-audi-r8-e-tron.html