Of course the Cygnet sports badging that shows off the Aston Martin wings -- to differentiate it from other vehicles on the road, like say, a Toyota iQ for instance. This practice, by the way, of car companies selling the same car under a different make or model name is called "badge engineering." In fact, if the pundits are correct, expect Toyota to badge engineer the iQ/Cygnet model as a Scion -- to appeal to hip, young, urban drivers -- when it finally comes to the United States.
As this article went to publication, Aston Martin announced pricing for the Cygnet at 30,995 pounds, or just under $50,000 USD. If it does share most of the underpinnings of the Toyota iQ, that would give it the following specs (or close to them):
- A 1-liter 3-cylinder engine or possibly a 1.3-liter 4-cylinder engine
- Manufacturer-estimated 56.5 miles per gallon (24 kilometers per liter)
- Three meters (9 feet, 10 inches) in length with a 4-meter (13 feet, 1-inch) turning radius
- Seating for four (three adults and one child)
One area where Aston Martin did invest considerable effort to help justify the exclusive price tag is the Cygnet's sumptuous, "bespoke" interior. Hand-crafted leather envelops the seats and other surfaces. This is, according to the company, "not out of deference to tradition, but because a skilled craftsman can finish leather to a far higher standard than any automated processes."
For more information about the Aston Martin Cygnet and other related auto topics, follow the links below.
- Aston Martin. "Cygnet." (Jan. 27, 2011) http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/thecars/cygnet
- Hutton, Ray. "Toyota iQ - First Drive." Car and Driver. December 2008. (Jan. 29, 2011) http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/08q4/2010_toyota_iq-first_drive_review
- Loveday, Eric. "Aston Martin Announces Base Price of £30,995 ($49,595 U.S.)." Autoblog Green. Jan. 26, 2011. (Jan. 26, 2011)http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/26/aston-martin-announces-cygnet-base-price-of-30-995-49-595-u-s/
- Meiner, Jens. "2010 / 2011 Aston Martin Cygnet - Car News." Car & Driver. June 2009. (Jan. 26, 2011) http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q2/2010_2011_aston_martin_cygnet-car_news
- Phillip, Sam. "Aston's iQ Test." Top Gear. June 29, 2009. (Jan. 26, 2011) http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/aston-martin-cygnet-2009-06-29