Lots More Information
Author's Note: Is an all-electric car a bad investment?
After you crunch all the relevant numbers, the purchase or non-purchase of an all-electric car will be a highly personal one. From what I gather, much of the enthusiasm for electrics (OK, let's just call it "hype") needs to be tempered with a bit more patience -- newer technologies are going to experience setbacks. They'll require an education curve before potential adopters embrace them in large numbers. Likewise, a good amount of the naysaying about electrics is mere sensationalism or uninformed punditry.
In writing this article, I looked to the not-so-distant past for guidance. If you want a really good picture of how BEVs might play out in the marketplace, look no further than the Toyota Prius. The first-generation Prius was by most accounts underpowered and awkward to behold. When it came to the United States in 2000, sales were sluggish. As Toyota revamped, refined and repositioned the Prius, it began to carve out its own category and dominate it. Critics of hybrid gasoline-electric technology went from outright dismissal to opposition, to finally, a grudging respect. I think going completely electric is the next logical step from hybrids like the Prius. Will all-electric cars be the ultimate heirs to the internal combustion engine? Nothing's a sure thing until it's done, but I think it would be shortsighted (and foolish, really) to bet against the long-term success of the all-electric vehicle.
- Ahrens, Marty. "U.S. Vehicle Fire Trends and Patterns." National Fire Protection Association. June 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/vehicleexecsum.pdf
- Baumhefner, Max. "Electric Car Sales Increase 228 Percent." The Energy Collective. Nov. 1, 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://theenergycollective.com/maxbaumhefner/137836/electric-car-sales-increase-228-percent
- Edelstein, Stephen. "Fisker identifies cooling fan as source of Karma fire, recalls all cars." Digitaltrends.com. Aug. 20, 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/fisker-karma-recalled/
- Electric Drive Transportation Association. "Electric Car Sales." (Nov. 9, 2012) http://www.electricdrive.org/index.php?ht=d/sp/i/20952/pid/20952
- Ernst, Kurt. "Cadillac To Begin ELR Production Late Next Year." Motor Authority. Oct. 16, 2012. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1079867_cadillac-to-begin-elr-production-late-next-year
- Fisker Automotive. "Media Statement - Woodside, CA Incident." Aug. 18, 2012. (Nov. 9, 2012) http://media.fiskerautomotive.com/global/en-us/Media/PressRelease.aspx?mediaid=928&title=media-statement----woodside-ca-incident
- Gordon-Bloomfield, Nikki. "A123 Electric Car Battery Plants Saved From Bankruptcy By Auto-Parts Maker." Oct. 17, 2012. (Nov. 7, 2012) http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079876_a123-electric-car-battery-plants-saved-from-bankruptcy-by-auto-parts-maker
- Grose, Thomas K. "Renault Zoe, a Low-Price Electric Car, Wins Britain's Future Car Challenge." National Geographic. Nov. 8, 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2012/11/121108-renault-zoe-wins-future-car-challenge/
- Innosight. "The Imperative of Disruptive Innovation." 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://www.innosight.com/documents/diprimer.pdf
- Lamonica, Martin. "Nissan Buys Back Two Leafs From Unhappy Owners." MIT Technology Review. Sept. 27, 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429392/nissan-buys-back-two-leafs-from-unhappy-owners/
- Lavrinc, Damon. "Another Fisker Karma Goes Up in Flames." Wired. Aug. 11, 2012. (Nov. 7, 2012) http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/08/fisker-karma-fire-part-deux/
- Lutz, Bob. "The Chevy Volt, Bill O'Reilly And The Postman's Butt." Forbes.com. March 12, 2012. (Nov. 11, 2012) http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/03/12/the-chevy-volt-bill-oreilly-and-the-postmans-butt/
- Lynch, Michael C. "Why the Electric Car Failed." U.S. News & World Report. Oct. 6, 2012. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on-energy/2012/10/09/why-the-electric-car-failed
- MacKenzie, Angus. "2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S." Motor Trend. January 2013. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1301_2013_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_tesla_model_s/?ti=v2
- Moloughney, Tom. "Hysteria Over Chevy Volt Fires Motivated by Politics." Plugincars.com. Dec. 16, 2011. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.plugincars.com/car-fires-recals-and-politics.html
- Motavalli, Jim. Forward Drive - The Race to Build "Clean" Cars for the Future. Sierra Club Books. 2001.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "NHTSA Statement on Conclusion of Chevy Volt Investigation." Jan. 20, 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/NHTSA+Statement+on+Conclusion+of+Chevy+Volt+Investigation
- Newman, Rick. "6 Myths About Car Recalls." U.S. News & World Report. Feb. 10, 2010. (Nov. 9, 2012) http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/flowchart/2010/02/10/6-myths-about-car-recalls
- Ohnsman, Alan and Hagiwara, Yuki. "Toyota Prius Escapes Niche to Surge Into Global Top Three." Bloomberg. May 29, 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-29/toyota-prius-escapes-niche-to-surge-into-global-top-three.html
- Ohnsman, Alan. "GM Volt, Plug-In Prius Buoy U.S. Rechargeable-Car Gains." Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Oct. 3, 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-02/gm-volt-toyota-plug-in-prius-buoy-u-dot-s-dot-rechargeable-car-sales
- Shepardson, David. "Electric car market is badly in need of a charge." The Detroit News. Oct. 18, 2012. (Nov. 8, 2012) http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121018/AUTO01/210180389
- Voelcker, John. "A123 Systems To Recall Electric-Car Battery Packs For Fisker, Others." Green Car Reports. March 26, 2012. (Nov. 7, 2012) http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1074491_a123-systems-to-recall-electric-car-battery-packs-for-fisker-others
- Voelcker, John. "Sandy Flood Fire Follow-up: Fisker Karma Battery Not At Fault." Green Car Reports. Nov. 6, 2012. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080276_sandy-flood-fire-followup-fisker-karma-battery-not-at-fault
- Zenlea, David. "2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S." January 2013. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1301_2013_automobile_of_the_year_tesla_model_s/