One of the more anticipated hybrid arrivals, one that's also considered to be a rival to the electric cars produced by Tesla Motors (which also happen to be fairly luxurious and expensive), is the Fisker Karma, a luxury plug-in hybrid.
The vehicle's original price was thought to be $80,000, but after its reveal at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Mich., the price rose to an even more luxurious $87,900. The luxurious insides of the Karma might speak for the high price; however, the powertrain system has not one, but two electric motors coupled with a 265-horsepower GM Ecotec turbocharged four-cylinder engine. With a combined total of 408 horsepower, the Karma can go from zero to 60 miles per hour (96.6 kilometers per hour) in 5.8 seconds and reach a top speed of 125 miles per hour (201.2 kilometers per hour). So, what's the part that might make the Karma worth its high price in the long run? Fisker expects it to get more than 100 miles per gallon (42.5 kilometers per liter) on the road.
For more information about hybrid cars and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Aziz, Nick. "2010 Mercedes-Benz S400 hybrid debuts." LeftLaneNews.com. April 9, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz-s400-hybrid.html
- Cadillac.com. "The 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid." (July 27, 2009) http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/landing.jsp?model=hybrid&year=2009&cmp=HybridRedirect
- ConsumerSearch.com. "Hybrid cars: Full Roundup." May 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.consumersearch.com/hybrid-cars/luxury-hybrids
- Lexus.com. "Lexus GH Hybrid - Pricing & Options." (July 27, 2009) http://www.lexus.com/models/GSh/features/pricing.html
- Lexus.com. "Lexus LS Hybrid - Pricing & Options." (July 27, 2009) http://www.lexus.com/models/LSh/features/pricing.html
- Wojdyla, Ben. "Fisker Karma gets a starting price of $87,900, we get first front shot of Tesla-killer." Jalopnik.com. Dec. 8, 2008. (July 27, 2009) http://jalopnik.com/5101490/fisker-karma-gets-a-starting-price-of-87900-we-get-first-front-shot-of-tesla+killer
- Wysaski, Jeff. "Luxury hybrid vehicle roundup." Autotropolis.com. March 11, 2009. (July 27, 2009) http://www.autotropolis.com/buying-guides/green-cars-guide/luxury-hybrid-vehicle-roundup.html
Is an all-electric car a bad investment? Keep reading to learn about electric cars and if an all-electric car is a bad investment.