The 1939 Chevrolet Master 85 and Master DeLuxe had essentially the same
body dies as the 1937-38 models, but reworked just enough to give them
a fresh look.
The 1939 Chevrolet Master 85 and Master DeLuxe got a new front clip that gave them a distinct resemblance to the contemporary Cadillac. There was no convertible this time, but extra passengers in the Sport Coupe were provided with jump seats in lieu of the increasingly unpopular rumble seat.
The stately 1939 Chevy Master DeLuxe had looks that would do
Cadillac proud. See more pictures of classic cars.
The big news for the 1939 Chevrolet Master 85 and Master DeLuxe was replacement of the troublesome Dubonnet-type Knee-Action suspension with a new suspension system employing -- like the senior GM cars -- coil springs and wishbones. This arrangement was standard equipment on the Master DeLuxe models but unavailable on the base series, now known as the Master 85.
A vacuum-assisted, column-mounted gearshift substantially reduced gear changing effort, though some drivers complained that it was impossible to "speed-shift" the transmission. Optional at $10 extra, this device was installed on most of the 1939 cars.
Demand for the trunkless coach and sedan styles had fallen off so sharply that both models were dropped from production during the model year. Prices were reduced by anywhere from $20 to $51, and calendar year volume increased by nearly one-third.
The Sport Sedan was one of several
body styles available on the Master DeLuxe.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Master 85||2,780-3,010|| $628-$848||190,622|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.