The Imperial Landau sedan topped the 1928 Chevrolet National
Series AB line. See more pictures of classic cars.
The 1928 Chevrolet National Series AB was basically a renamed 1927 Chevrolet Series AA Capitol. But it looked fresher, thanks to a wheelbase stretch of four inches, to 107 inches, and a handsome facelift.
The new look was one of the first projects from GM's Art & Colour studio, and followed its creation of the 1927 LaSalle. Compared to the 1927 Chevy, the 1928 National displayed a longer and straighter hood, flowing fender lines, lower profile, and smoothly integrated body panels. That longer hood was no styling frivolity; it was necessary to accommodate the six-cylinder engine that was soon to come.
Meanwhile, the old reliable 171-cubic-inch four-cylinder engine gained higher compression, larger valves, aluminum pistons, and a revised carburetor for a final breath of life and a rating of 35 horsepower at 2,200 rpm. Because of increased weight, performance failed to improve.
More important to buyers, Chevrolets adopted four-wheel brakes, though still mechanically actuated. At mid-season, a convertible sport cabriolet replaced the non-opening version. Late in 1928, four-cylinder cars were dropped, making way for the sixes.
The 1928 season was the last for the
Chevrolet four-cylinder that debuted in 1913.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Series AB||2,030-2,435|| $495-$715||785,199|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.