The 1919 Chevrolet Series 490 Roadster was Chevy's entry-level
offering. See more pictures of Chevrolet Series cars.
There were no model changes for 1919 Series 490. However, the larger F series was renamed the FB and rode a longer wheelbase, 110 inches. It also gained a closed coupe and Chevy's first true four-door sedan. The FA wheelbase stayed at 108 inches, the 490 remained at 102.
As for Chevy's flasgship, the Series D V-8, sales, which had never been numerous, dwindled to just 71 in 1919, and those were probably nothing more than left-over 1918 models given 1919 serial numbers. With that, Chevy's flagship was discontinued at midyear; total sales over its lifetime stood at just 2,781 units.
Though the V-8 proved to be a losing proposition, FB production increased significantly over that of the FA, while the popularity of the 490 soared.
By this time, Chevrolet was assembling cars in factories around the country, including Flint, Mich., Tarrytown, N.Y., St. Louis, Oakland, Calf., and Fort Worth, Texas. Nearly 150,000 U.S.-built Chevys hit the road in 1919, putting Chevrolet second only to Ford in the sales race -- though by a still-whopping margin.
The 490 Roadster's dashboard was spartan and practical.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Series 490||1,820-2,160|| $715-$1,185||149,833 (approx.)|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.