The Cadillac Escalade has topped the Highway Data Loss Institute's most stolen vehicles list for five years running. More than 1 percent of all late model Escalades were reported stolen in 2010; that's 10.8 of every 1,000, to be exact [source: Highway Loss Data Institute]. Because of the high list prices of both new and pre-owned Escalades, the luxury SUV also makes the HDLI's list of the vehicles with the most expensive insurance claims for theft. A pre-owned 2009 Escalade with base features is worth more than $46,000, and a quarter of the insurance claims for the stolen vehicles top $40,000 [source: Kelley Blue Book and Highway Loss Data Institute].
Those claims are tied to the replacement price of the insured vehicle. Because of the SUV's many luxury features, including a navigation system, satellite radio player and a high performance V8 engine, Cadillac equips its Escalade with the most up-to-date anti-theft technology, including ignition immobilizers [source: Edmunds]. But thieves seem to have ways around that technology, too. For instance, some will simply load them onto flatbed trucks and haul them away because keys aren't necessary if the car is going to be cut up and sold off in pieces [source: Highway Loss Data Institute]. Thieves can also bypass the anti-theft devices through carjackings or by stealing keys from dealers and residences [source: Statistics Canada].
More Great Links
- Bouchillon Performance Engineering. "6.4L '392' Stroker HEMI." (Feb. 3, 2011)http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPE392ENGINE300CRTTRUCK.asp
- Chicago Tribune. "Best-selling cars of 2010." Jan. 5, 2011. (Jan. 17, 2011)http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/chi-top10-best-selling-cars,0,4506344.photogallery
- Chrysler Group. "2010 Charger Powertrain." (Jan. 20, 2011)http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/charger/performance/powertrain/
- CNNMoney.com. "Survey: Cadillac Escalade SUV is the Car Thieves Love to Steal." Aug. 3, 2010. (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/08/03/most.stolen.cars/index.html
- Durbin, Dee-Ann. "SUV and Truck Sales Plunge." May 2, 2008. (Jan. 21, 2011)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103773.html
- Edmunds. "2009 Cadillac Escalade." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/escalade/2009/
- Edmunds. "Chevrolet Avalanche Review." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/avalanche/
- Edmunds. "Chevrolet Tahoe Review." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tahoe/
- General Motors. "Chevrolet Tahoe - 2009." (Jan. 19, 2011)http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/vehicles/chevrolet/tahoe/2009.brand_gm.html
- General Motors. "Sierra Features Overview." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.gmc.com/sierra/1500/specsStandard.jsp
- Highway Loss Data Institute. "News Release." Aug. 3, 2010. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr080310.html
- Infiniti. "G37 Coupe Specifications and Options." (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.infinitiusa.com/g_coupe/
- Kelley Blue Book Co. "2009 Cadillac Escalade Sport Utility 4D." (Jan. 21, 2011)http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/cadillac/escalade/2009/retail-value/pricing-report
- Kelley Blue Book Co. "2009 Hummer H2 Sport Utility 4D." (Jan. 21, 2011)http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/hummer/h2/2009/retail-value/pricing-report?id=226625&category=suv&condition=excellent&mileage=2850053000
- Los Angeles Times. "Top 10 Most Stolen Cars of 2010." (Jan. 17, 2011)http://www.latimes.com/sns-auto-top-stolen-cars-2010-pictures,0,5299466.photogallery
- Motor Trend. "Cadillac Escalade and Nissan Maxima Top Theft Targets." Dec. 3, 2004. (Jan. 17, 2011)http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news041203_theft/index.html
- Onishi, Norimitsu. "Your Car, the Sitting Duck." The New York Times. March 19, 1995. (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/19/nyregion/your-car-the-sitting-duck.html?scp=1&sq=car+sitting+duck&st=cse&pagewanted=all
- Power Train Products Inc. "Dodge 5.7 Hemi Engine 2003-2007." (Jan. 20, 2011)http://stores.powertrainproducts.net/-strse-2344/Dodge-5.7-Hemi-Engine/Detail.bok
- Statistics Canada. "Exploring the Involvement of Organized Crime in Motor Vehicle Theft." April 24, 2006. (Jan. 18, 2011)http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-563-x/85-563-x2004001-eng.htm
- U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee of Governmental Affairs. "Professional Motor Vehicle Theft and Chop Shops Hearings." U.S. Government Printing Office. April 25, 1980.
HowStuffWorks debunks the myth that a car with matte finish paint is super high maintenance. It just needs proper upkeep to truly shine.