1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
Car: 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
Number produced: 22
Price at auction: $12.1 million
Most people are probably more familiar with the 1980s Ferrari Testarossa, prominently featured in the TV series Miami Vice. But there was another "red head" (so named because of the red valve covers on the engine) that came first, and it was far more rare and exotic. The 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa was a GT race car that ran in many prominent contests of speed, including The 24 Hours of Le Mans.
The '57 Testa Rossa had a 3-liter, 300-horsepower, V-12 engine with an 8,000 rpm redline -- pretty impressive for a car from the 1950s -- and a stunning body. In 1958, the Testa Rossas won four of the six races to win Ferrari's third consecutive World Sports Car Championship for Constructors. Racing legend Phil Hill was behind the wheel of one of them in that championship year. Only 22 were ever built -- so it's a rare find, indeed. In Ferrari's own words: "Not only is the performance breathtaking, but the view over the bonnet when driving is simply one of the best in the world [source: Gizmag]."
This particular car, the fourth one built, has been restored several times and reunited with its original engine. When it went to auction in 2009, the Testa Rossa fetched a record-shattering $12.1 million. Who says we're in a recession?
For more information about expensive, rare and classic cars, follow the links below.
- Frank, Michael. "The World's Most Expensive Car." Forbes.com. (June 10, 2010)http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/05/1105vow.html
- Gagne, Luc. "Top 10 Most Expensive Cars." Auto123.com. (June 10, 2010)http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/top-10-most-expensive-classic-cars?artid=114320&pg=1
- McCullough-Arfons, Shari. "1965 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe Sells for $7.25 million." Mecum Auctions. (June 10, 2010)http://mecum.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=2102
- McKeegan, Noel. "1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa fetches world record $12.1 million at auction." Gizmag.com. (June 10, 2010)http://www.gizmag.com/1957-ferrari-250-testa-rossa-fetches-world-record-121-million-at-auction/11727/
- Melissen, Wouter. "Ferrari 250 LM." UltimateCarPage.com. May 9, 2005. (June 10, 2010)http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/136/Ferrari-250-LM.html
- Melissen, Wouter. "Vintage: Mighty Mercedes SSK Is All Original." SpeedTV.com. Sept. 3, 2009. (June 10, 2010)http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-mighty-mercedes-ssk-is-all-original/
- Owen, Richard. "1936 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante." Supercars.net. (June 10, 2010)http://www.supercars.net/cars/265.html
- RM Auctions. "1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster." (June 10, 2010)http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?CarID=r146&SaleCode=LF07
- RM Auctions. "1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa." (June 10, 2010)http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=FF07&CarID=L221
- Stone, Matt. "Classic: 1961 Ferrari 250 GT Spyder California." Motor Trend. (June 10, 2010)http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/classic/112_0901_1961_ferrari_250_gt_spyder_california/index.html
- Supercars.net. "1904 Rolls-Royce 10 HP." (June 10, 2010)http://www.supercars.net/cars/3986.html
Crate motors are popular for breathing new life into old cars. HowStuffWorks looks at how they've also gone electric so your classic car can go green.