Lots More Information
Indian automaker Mahindra introduced the Roxor to the U.S. in March. HowStuffWorks talks to the company about the Roxor and what makes it so cool.
Author's Note: 10 Famous Cars and the Drivers who Drove Them
As Top 10 lists go, this was a tough one. In some cases, it's hard to separate an actor from the role he played on-screen (hello, Ferris Bueller). And some of the choices were challenging, if not controversial. I've actually seen some of the cars mentioned, as well as others that were contenders for a spot on the list, at the Volo Auto Museum in Illinois. (Rumor has it the museum has parts from "Little Bastard" in the collection, too. I don't remember seeing them, but at least they didn't curse me.)
Slipping "Bumblebee" into the bottom spot might have raised some eyebrows, since the comics, television series and the 1980s action figures no doubt carry more cultural weight than the new films. I have my reasons. As I was writing this article (literally, the same week), "Transformers 4" was filming in my neighborhood in downtown Chicago. Cars were briefly staged in a vacant lot around the corner, and as I was walking to work one morning, "Optimus Prime" was sitting right there. The production crews were working throughout the city for a good chunk of the summer, but I got to spend a few hours watching an action scene as it was filmed right on my street. I even spotted "Bumblebee" from my rooftop, doing a three-point turn like it was no big deal. I'm not really a summer blockbuster kind of girl, but this was fun. And while "Transformers 4" might not achieve legendary status like most of the films on this list, it'll probably get me into the theater next July.
- Hagerty Insurance. "A chance to see the pink Cadillac." May 19, 2012. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/More-Articles/Car-Profiles/All-articles/2010/05/19/A-chance-to-see-the-Pink-Cadillac
- Herbie Mania. "A Conversation With Dean Jones." (Sept. 13, 2013) http://www.herbiemania.com/deaninterview.htm
- Jalopnik. "The Curse of James Dean's Little Bastard." Dec. 31, 2008. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://jalopnik.com/5113390/the-curse-of-james-deans-little-bastard
- Jon, Ann. "Chevrolet Camaro: A Transformers Movie Star." MSN Autos. (Sept. 13, 2013) http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435766
- Kerr, Euan. "The harsh reality behind the Merry Pranksters 'Magic Trip.'" Minnesota Public Radio. Sept. 2, 2011. (Sept. 12, 2013) http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/09/01/magictrip
- Marcus, Bennett. "Matthew Broderick Wouldn't Recommend That You Buy the 'Bueller' Ferrari." Vulture. April 9, 2010. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://www.vulture.com/2010/04/matthew_broderick_wouldnt_reco.html
- Moviefone. "Christopher Lloyd Talks 'Back to the Future,' Doc Brown and Playing Captain Kruge." Aug. 22, 2012. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://news.moviefone.com/2012/08/22/christopher-lloyd-back-to-the-future-interview/
- Peele, Robert. "Ferris Bueller's 'Choice' Ferrari for Sale." NYTimes.com. March 31, 2010. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/ferris-buellers-choice-ferrari-for-sale/?src=mv
- Preston, Benjamin. "O.J. Simpson's White Bronco Police Chase Happened 19 Years Ago Today." The New York Times. June 17, 2013.(Sept. 15, 2013) http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/o-j-simpsons-white-bronco-police-chase-happened-19-years-ago-today/
- TopGear.com. "'Back to the Future' DeLorean is restored." Feb. 18. 2013. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/Back-to-the-Future-DeLorean-is-restored-2013-02-18
- Valdes-Dapena, Peter. "'General Lee' auction back on again." CNN Money. May 17, 2007. (Sept. 17, 2013) http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/11/autos/general_lee_back_on/