The 30,000-mile service is the first major check up on a vehicle. Is it worth the cost? Find out at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Serious Mistakes in Car Maintenance
There are so many dumb, dangerous, irresponsible and ridiculous things you can do to a car that it was hard to narrow this list down to just 10. I saw quite a few examples when I traveled a few hundred miles at a time to attend regional and national shows with my car club. Once, a few of the guys made an emergency transmission repair in a hotel parking lot with the car balanced on four jack stands -- the cheap, flimsy ones -- the morning after a long drive followed by an all-night bender, surrounded by people showing off and doing burnouts. Car shows are sometimes a circus of desperate, ill-thought-out or seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time repairs.
So I didn't fill this article with stuff like that. The kind of stuff I don't think I have to tell you not to do, because I can't imagine a situation in which anyone else would ever have to do it.
- AA1Car.com. "Troubleshoot Car Electrical Problem." (April 2, 2013) http://www.aa1car.com/library/tselec.htm
- Allen, Mike. "Changing Your Oil and Filter." Popular Mechanics. March 29, 2006. (March 27, 2013) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/1272546
- Allen, Mike. "Torque Wrench 101: How to Get Just the Right Amount of Force." Popular Mechanics. April 25, 2011. (March 27, 2013) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/torque-wrench-101-how-to-get-the-right-amount-of-force-2
- Cars.com. "Vehicle Safety Recalls." (April 2, 2013) http://www.cars.com/go/recalls/index.jsp
- DeMarco, Peter. "Take care when jump-starting your battery, or pay the price." The Boston Globe. Nov. 24, 2011. (March 27, 2013) http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/11/24/take_care_when_jump_starting_battery_or_risk_frying_cars_computers/
- Liberty Mutual Insurance. "Jump Start a Car Battery." (March 27, 2013) http://mobile.libertymutual.com/mobile-auto-how-to-list/mobile-jump-start-a-car-battery
- Montoya, Ronald. "How Old -- And Dangerous -- Are Your Tires?" Edmunds. Nov. 18, 2011. (April 2, 2013) http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html