Car companies do all they can to avoid a vehicle recall. But can they let known defects go without a recall? Find out at HowStuffWorks.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Top 10 Everyday Car Technologies that Came from Racing
- How Hypercars Work
- How Auto Transport Works
- How Car Computers Work
- How Driverless Cars Will Work
- How Automotive Production Lines Work
- Can you assemble your own car?
- What makes a digital car digital?
- What's new in synthetic oil technology?
- Will car repairs in the future financially cripple you?
- Curiosity Project: 10 Most Exclusive Cars Ever
- Akella, Prasad et al. "Cobots for the automobile assembly line." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. 1999. (11/10/2009) http://othello.mech.northwestern.edu/~peshkin/pubs/1999_CobotsAutomobileAssembly.pdf
- Arabe, Katrina. "The Rise of Rapid Prototyping." ThomasNet News. April 13, 2004. (11/10/2009) http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archives/2004/04/the_rise_of_rap.html
- Braendli, Norbert. " Commentary: Exploring future automotive trends." Prime. April 13, 2009. (11/9/2009) http://www.onwindows.com/Articles/Exploring-future-automotive-trends/3740/Default.aspx
- DeMatio, Joe. "2010 Man of the Year: Alan Mulally, CEO Ford Motor Company." Automobile Magazine. Nov. 10, 2009. (11/10/2009)http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1001_2010_man_of_the_year_alan_mulally_ceo_ford_motor_company/index.html
- Haven, Kendall. "100 greatest Science inventions of all time." Libraries Unlimited. 2006. (11/10/2009) http://books.google.com/books?id=0gBwjLTUzEMC&lpg=PA198&ots=mZdyDJnxkI&dq=history%20%22car%20manufacturing%22%20assembly%20line&pg=PA198#v=onepage&q=history%20%22car%20manufacturing%22%20assembly%20line&f=false
- Huntzinger, Jim. "The Roots of Lean." Flexware Innovation. (11/9/2009)http://www.leaninstituut.nl/publications/Roots_of_Lean_TWI.pdf
- Lippert, John. "Toyota's Toyoda scolds execs for emulating U.S. car companies' mistake.' The Seattle Times. July 5, 2009. (11/10/2009)http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2009419335_toyota05.html
- Lohr, Steve. "All May Not Be Lost for the American Car." New York Times. Jan. 31, 2009. (11/9/2009) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/weekinreview/01lohr.html?scp=6&sq=%22auto%20manufacturing%22%20trends%20latest&st=Search
- "Kaizen." The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (11/10/2009)http://www.climate.unc.edu/lean/kaizen
- "Kaizen: The Key to Understanding Japanese Success." (11/20/2009) http://fac.swic.edu/turnerke/Kazien-Guide.pdf
- Kietzman, Shannon. "What is Rapid Prototyping?" WiseGeek.com. (11/10/2009) http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-rapid-prototyping.htm
- "Modern Automobile Manufacturing." Business and Economics Research Advisor. Fall 2004. (11/9/2009) http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/BERA/issue2/manufacturing.html
- Perach, Dan. "Automotive Rapid Protoyping and Automotive Prototype Servies. ArticleBase.com. July 2, 2008. (11/10/2009) http://www.articlesbase.com/business-ideas-articles/automotive-rapid-prototyping-automotive-prototype-services-470200.html
- Purdy, Steve. "International Car of the Year Awards." TheAutoChannel.com. Jan. 10, 2009. (11/10/2009) http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/01/11/357144.html
- Rampell, Catherine. "A 'Big Three' Failure and U.S. Auto Making." New York Times. Nov. 19, 2008. (11/9/2009) http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/why-a-big-three-failure-wouldnt-kill-us-auto-making/?scp=5&sq=%22auto%20manufacturing%22%20trends%20latest&st=Search
- Taylor, Alex. "Fixing up Ford." CNN. May 12, 2009. (11/10/2009) http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/11/news/companies/mulally_ford.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes&eref=edition_business
- The Henry Ford Web site. (11/10/2009) http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/hf/
- "Toyota Holds Tree-planting Event in Thailand." Toyota. Aug. 3, 2008. (11/10/2009) http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/08/0803.html
- "Toyota's new assembly line to cut emissions." Manufacturers' Monthly. Oct. 16, 2008. (11/10/2009) http://www.manmonthly.com.au/Article/Toyotas-new-assembly-line-to-cut-emissions/427658.aspx
- "Toyota Strengths Initiatives for Low Carbon Society." Toyota. June 11, 2008. (11/10/2009) http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/08/0611.html
- Vlasic, Bill and Bunkley, Nick. "The Struggle of Detroit Ensnare Its Workers." New York Times. July 3, 2008. (11/9/2009) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/business/03auto.html