Porsche upped the performance ante of its entry-level line in a big way by adding a 944 Turbo in 1986. Like that year's regular 944s, it arrived with a more coherent and attractive dashboard, but stood apart with unique nose styling and wider tires on 928-style "telephone dial" alloy wheels. The 944 Turbo was sold from 1986 to 1989.
The Porsche 944 Turbo did 0-60 mph in 6 seconds, had a top speed of 153 mph.
The updated dashboard of the Porsche 944 Turbo was sporty and driver-friendly.
A single turbocharger boosted the Porsche 944 Turbo's engine to 217 horsepower.
The Porsche 944 Turbo gained 30 horsepower for 1988, for a healthy 247.
1986-1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Specifications
- $29,500 for 1986 944 Turbo
- $39,765 for 1988 944 Turbo
- $47,432 for 1988 944 Turbo S
|Length (inches)||Wheelbase (inches)||Weight (pounds)|
| Size (cc)||Type ||Horsepower ||Years |
|2479||Turbo sohc I-4||217||1986-1988 |
|2479||Turbo sohc I-4||247||1988-1989|
Check out the complete story of Porsche cars, including these fabulous models:
For more information on Porsche and other exciting cars, see:
- Consumer Guide Porsche new car prices and reviews
- Consumer Guide Porsche used car prices and reviews
- Consumer Guide premium performance cars prices and reviews
- Ferrari: Learn about hundreds of road and racing Ferraris.
- Muscle Cars: Check out 1960s and '70s American muscle cars.