Authors Note: How Plant-microbial Fuel Cells Work
If you think about it, building a battery that can run off of bacterial digestive processes brings us one step closer to cyborgs and self-powered machines. The human body relies on gut bacteria to convert food into energy; if we could tap into this process to juice fuel cells, then we might also power bodily implants, such as pacemakers.
Researchers at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Institute of Technology have already blurred this line, constructing a brain chip powered by glucose, which it harvests from recirculated cerebrospinal fluid [source: Rapoport, Kedzierski and Sarpeshkar]. Can cyberbrains be far behind? (Well, yes, probably).
Just imagine: We could build machines that graze! OK, that might not sound as sexy as ray guns and rocket ships, but such machines could remain active in the field indefinitely without need of a recharge or new batteries. A collection of MFCs could form a makeshift gut, pulling electricity from plant glucose.
Should someone pursue this idea, I hope they will employ PMFCs. I envision herds of white ceramic robots covered in Salvia hispanica, and I ask the question:
Do androids dream of electric Chia Pets?
- Bennetto, H.P. "Electricity Generation by Microorganisms." Biotechnology Education. Vol. 1, no. 4. Page 163. 1990. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.ncbe.reading.ac.uk/ncbe/protocols/PRACBIOTECH/PDF/bennetto.pdf
- British Petroleum. "Gigajoules." Glossary. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.bp.com/glossaryitemlinks.do?contentId=7066767&alphabetId=7&categoryId=9036141
- Deng, Huan, Zheng Chen and Feng Zhao. "Energy from Plants and Microorganisms: Progress in Plant-Microbial Fuel Cells." ChemSusChem. Vol. 5, no. 6. Page 1006. June 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51871942_Energy_from_Plants_and_Microorganisms_Progress_in_Plant-Microbial_Fuel_Cells/file/9fcfd4fe35d29c822c.pdf
- De Schamphelaire, Liesje et al. Microbial Fuel Cells Generating Electricity from Rhizodeposits of Rice Plants. Environmental Science & Technology. Vol. 42, no. 8. Page 3053. March 2008.
- Dillow, Clay. "Microbial Fuel Cell Cleans Wastewater, Desalinates Seawater and Generates Power." Popular Science. Aug. 6, 2009. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-08/microbial-fuel-cell-cleans-wastewater-desalinates-seawater-and-generates-power
- Doty, Cate. "For Africa, 'Energy from Dirt.'" The New York Times. Nov. 10, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/giving/11AFRICA.html?_r=0
- European Commission. "The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and Agriculture in Europe -- Frequently Asked Questions." June 11, 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/faq/index_en.htm
- European Commission. "Consumption of Energy." (Jan. 10, 2013) http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Consumption_of_energy
- Helder, Marjolein. "Design Criteria for the Plant-Microbial Fuel Cell." Thesis, Wageningen University. Defended Nov. 23, 2012.
- Helder, Marjolein and Nanda Schrama. Personal correspondence. January 2013.
- Helder, M. et al. "New Plant-Growth Medium for Increased Power Output of the Plant-Microbial Fuel Cell." Bioresource Technology. Vol. 104. Page 417. January 2012.
- Hortert, Daniel, et al. "Background." NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Education Homepage. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://education.gsfc.nasa.gov/experimental/all98invProject.Site/Pages/trl/inv2-1.abstract.html
- Ingham, Elaine. "The Soil Food Web." Natural Resources Conservation Service. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/concepts/soil_biology/soil_food_web.html
- Ko, Vanessa. "Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Cars Look to Overtake Electric Autos." CNN. Nov. 26, 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/25/business/eco-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars/index.html
- LaMonica, Martin. "Hybrid Solar Cell Hits High Efficiency." MIT Technology Review. Sept. 5, 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429099/hybrid-solar-cell-hits-high-efficiency/
- Miller, Brian. "Wetlands and Water Quality." Purdue University. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/WQ/WQ-10.html
- Miyamoto, Kazuhisa, ed. "Renewable Biological Systems for Alternative Sustainable Energy Production." United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. 1997. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.fao.org/docrep/W7241E/W7241E00.htm
- The New York Times. "Biofuels." June 17, 2011. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/energy-environment/biofuels/index.html
- Office of Naval Research. "Microbial Fuel Cells." (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.onr.navy.mil/en/Media-Center/Fact-Sheets/Microbial-Fuel-Cell.aspx
- Øvergaard, Sara. "Issue Paper: Definition of Primary and Secondary Energy." September 2008. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://unstats.un.org/unsd/envaccounting/londongroup/meeting13/LG13_12a.pdf
- The Oxford Dictionary of Science. Alan Isaacs, John Daintith and Elizabeth Martin, eds. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- PlantPower. "Living Plants in Microbial Fuel Cells for Clean, Renewable, Sustainable, Efficient In-Situ Bioenergy Production." 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.plantpower.eu/
- Rabaey, Korneel and Willy Verstraete. "Microbial Fuel Cells: Novel Biotechnology for Energy Generation." TRENDS in Biotechnology. Vol.23, no.6. Page 291. June 2005. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://web.mit.edu/pweigele/www/SoBEI/Info_files/Rabaey%202005%20Trends%20Biotechnol.pdf
- Seegren, Phil, Brendan Cowcer and Christopher Romeo. "Comparative Analysis of RuBisCo Expression and Protein Levels in C3 and C4 plants." (Jan. 10, 2013) http://csmbio.csm.jmu.edu/bioweb/bio480/fall2011/winning/Rubiscoooo/Intro.htm
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC). "C3 and C4 Plants." (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/co2/c3_c4_plants.aspx
- Strik, David P.B.T.B., et al. "Microbial Solar Cells: Applying Photosynthetic and Electrochemically Active Organisms. Trends in Biotechnology." Vol. 29, no. 1. Page 41. January 2011.
- Strik, David P.B.T.B., et al. "Green Electricity Production with Living Plants and Bacteria in a Fuel Cell." International Journal of Energy Research. Vol. 32, no. 9. Page 870. July 2008. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.microbialfuelcell.org/publications/wur/strik_et%20al_2008.pdf
- Tenenbaum, David. "Food vs. Fuel: Diversion of Crops Could Cause More Hunger. Environmental Health Perspectives." Vol. 116, no. 6. Page A254. June 2008. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430252/pdf/ehp0116-a00254.pdf
- Tweed, Katherine. "Fuel Cell Treats Wastewater and Harvests Energy." Scientific American. July 16, 2012. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=microbial-fuel-cell-treats-wastewater-harvests-energy
- Universcience. "Ton of Oil Equivalent (TOE)." Glossary. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.universcience.fr/en/lexique/definition/c/1248117918831/-/p/1239026795199/lang/an
- Williams, Caroline. "Grow Your Own Electricity." New Scientist. Feb. 16, 2012.
- Wüst, Christian. "BMW's Hydrogen 7: Not as Green as it Seems." Der Spiegel. Nov. 17, 2006. (Jan. 10, 2013) http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/bmw-s-hydrogen-7-not-as-green-as-it-seems-a-448648.html