Author's Note: Does hydrogen destroy metal?
Until I started researching this article, I had no idea that hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe, was so destructive. Oh sure, I knew the basics of why my beloved 1993 Ford Ranger began to rust — oxygen combined with iron to form iron oxide, and before I knew it, I was scraping and priming and painting. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to know that hydrogen eats away at metal just as easily. Hydrogen embrittlement is a serious matter, especially when hydrogen is a key component in solving our fuel needs and helping the planet. Hopefully, scientists will be able to figure out a cost-effective solution to the problem.
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). "RL10 Rocket Engine." (Jan. 14, 2013) http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/communities/history/landmarks/5636.pdf
- Anderson, Jack. "Soldier Dies When Faulty Weapons Break." Ocala Star-Banner. Feb. 16, 1987. (Jan. 5, 2013) http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xZ0TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mAYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4103,25787&dq=hydrogen+embrittlement&hl=en
- Azom.com. "Hydrogen Economy of the Future Spurs Hydrogen Embrittlement Research. May 28, 2008. (Jan. 5, 2013) http://www.azom.com/news.aspx?newsID=12342
- The Chemical Heritage Foundation. "Antoine-Laurent Lavoisier." (Jan 4, 2013) http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/online-resources/chemistry-in-history/themes/early-chemistry-and-gases/lavoisier.aspx
- CNN.com. "Bush touts benefits of hydrogen fuel." Feb. 6, 2003. (Jan. 3, 2013) http://articles.cnn.com/2003-02-06/politics/bush-energy_1_hydrogen-power-fuel-cells-dependence-on-foreign-oil?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS
- Gray, Hugh. R. "Hydrogen Environment Embrittlement." NASA. June 26, 1972. (Jan. 5, 2013) http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720019924_1972019924.pdf
- Making-Hydrogen.com. "History of Hydrogen." (Jan 4, 2013). http://www.making-hydrogen.com/history-of-hydrogen.html
- McGill University. "Study reveals clues to cause of hydrogen embrittlement." Nov. 19, 2012. (Jan. 7, 2013) http://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/study-reveals-clues-cause-hydrogen-embrittlement-219051.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory. "Hydrogen Basics." May 18, 2012. (Jan. 4, 2013) http://www.nrel.gov/learning/eds_hydrogen.html
- Science Daily. "Clues to Cause of Hydrogen Embrittlement in Metals: Findings could guide Design of New Embrittlement-Resistant Materials." Nov. 19, 2012. (Jan. 4, 2013) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121119132309.htm
- Science Daily. "Hydrogen Causes Metal to Break." Aug. 21, 2010. (Jan. 3, 2013) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100816114831.htm