The 1972 Chevrolet Vega started to display the setbacks that would
eventually doom the car, including serious rust and engine problems.
The advertised output of the 1972 Chevrolet Vega's overhead-cam four-cylinder base engine dropped by 10 horsepower, to 80 horsepower, while the optional four-cylinder slipped from 110 horsepower to 90.
Both changes were the result of tightened emissions standards and the switch to net horsepower ratings. (Under the new system, engines were measured with the air cleaner, alternator, mufflers, and other accessories connected.)
A GT option cost $339 and included the step-up engine, black-out grille, rally wheels, front/rear stabilizers, and full instrumentation.
The 1972 Chevrolet Vega continued to sell quite well, though owners had begun to notice a few problems in this second model year. Rusting body panels and engine failures were increasingly common, and a bad sign of troubles to come.
A total of 390,478 Vegas were produced for 1972, and the hatchback coupe was again the most-popular body style. With its rear seat folded down, a hatchback offered an ample 49 cubic feet of cargo space.
The 1972 Chevrolet Vega hatchback Coupe outsold its notchback sibling.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.