1979 Chevrolet Nova
The 1979 Chevrolet Nova marked the end of Nova
as a rear-wheel-drive model.
Chevrolet's compact models were headed into the front-wheel-drive age and for 1980, Nova's place in the lineup would be taken over by the new and ver different Chevy Citation.
Production of the 1979 Chevrolet Nova officially ended in November 1978. The last of the breed could be ordered with an inline 250-cubic-inch six or a two-barrel 305-cubic-inch V-8. A 350-cubic-inch V-8 was also available in California and high-altitude locales. Both V-8s got a new Exhaust Gas Recirculation system.
The 1979 Chevrolet Nova lineup was the same as in 1978: base-level hatchback, coupe, and sedan, plus the Custom coupe and sedan. As usual, base coupe and sedan proved to be the best sellers.
Nova Customs had a special acoustical package including improved headlining and full hood insulation, along with other luxury extras.
These final Novas were promoted for their "solid value" and "reputation for dependability," capitalizing upon a 17-year heritage that had begun with the Chevy II.
For their last fling, a modified horizontal-bar grille contained vertical parking lights. New chromed hood and fender moldings were installed, and new front-bumper filler panels gave the front end a more finished look.
1979 Chevrolet Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Nova|| 3,135-3,394|| $4,055-$4,499||97,721|
Sedans were the top-selling body style for the 1979 Nova.
This is a Custom model.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.