1974 Chevrolet Nova
A 1974 Chevrolet Nova sedan was a
smart buy during the first gas shortages.
Instead of focusing on any alterations, the 1974 Chevrolet Nova sales brochure explained that, "we've been building essentially the same car since 1968. We think we've got it down pat."
Evidently they did, as Nova sales continued the surge they had enjoyed since 1972 and approached 400,000 cars for 1974. Six-cylinder Novas were the fastest gainers, as sales of V-8 Novas declined.
These were the years of the first energy crisis as Middle Eastern countries cut back on oil exports. After waiting for hours in gas lines and fretting about the prospect of fuel rationing, thrifty compacts looked pretty good to plenty of Americans. Nova fit the bill.
The 1974 Chevrolet Nova got larger parking lights and new bow-tie grille emblems, as well as modified bumpers that added two inches to length and helped cushion minor impacts.
Nova SS hatchbacks and notchbacks could have either a 100-horsepower six-cylinder engine or a 350-cubic-inch V-8 of 145 or 185 horsepower. Steel-belted radial tires became available for the first time. Ordering the 185-horsepower V-8 brought a Muncie four-speed floor-shift with improved linkage.
A limited-edition "Spirit of America" series debuted; it was painted white and had red and blue accent stripes.
1974 Chevrolet Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Nova|| 3,150-3,437|| $2,811-$3,217||390,537|
In Spirit of America livery, the 1974 Nova
was a red, white, and blue wonder.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.