1979 Chevrolet Monza
At $4,624, the unique 1979 Monza 2+2 Sport
was the priciest Monza for this year.
The 1979 Chevrolet Monza continued to appeal to first-time car buyers in particular, thanks to prices starting at a reasonable $3,850. Added standard equipment for 1979 helped, too.
"More car," said the sales brochure, and "more kicks." Extra standard features for 1979 included an AM radio, tinted glass, bodyside moldings, and sport steering wheel.
The "S" hatchback was deleted, as were the Estate Wagon and the Sport notchback coupe. Only one Monza kept the sloped Euro-look front end: the 2+2 Sport hatchback. Others had an upright front end with a freshened grille. The Spyder performance package cost $164, the Spyder appearance package added $231.
Powerplants got a little more pep. A more-potent standard 151-cubic-inch (2.5-liter) four-cylinder with a redesigned cross-flow cylinder head and two-barrel carburetor developed 90-horsepower -- five more than in 1978.
Monza buyers could choose from three optional engines: 105-horsepower 196-cubic-inch V-6, 115-horsepower 231 V-6, or 130-horsepower 305 V-8.
had a color-keyed instrument panel, and all except the base coupe
had a center console. Corrosion protection was improved, too, but the
Monza's days were numbered.
1979 Chevrolet Monza Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monza || 2,577-2,676|| $3,850-$4,624||163,833|
Of the 163,833 Chevrolet Monzas built for
1979, 67,398 were hatchbacks like this.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.