1978 Chevrolet Monza
The 1978 Chevrolet Monza offered new
front-end styling and an expanded lineup.
The 1978 Chevrolet Monza also gained a new base coupe and 2+2 hatchback with round headlights in an upright front end with a crossbar grille. The final addition was a Sport series with a sloping nose and rectangular headlights.
"Take the wheel, have some fun," the Monza sales brochure advised. The new Spyder 2+2 hatchback in particular promised to fulfill Chevy's claim that it was "a car to quicken your pulse."
There was action underhood, as well, as Chevrolet's sporty subcompacts were available for the first time with V-6 engines. Buyers could choose V-6s of 196 cubic inches (3.2 liters) or a Buick-built unit of 231 cubic inches (3.8 liters). Horsepower was 90 and 105, respectively. The 145-horsepower 305-cubic-inch V-8 remained optional in all but the Vega-based models.
Gone at last was the troublesome
aluminum Vega four-cylinder engine. It was replaced by an 85-horsepower
Pontiac "Iron Duke" 151-cubic-inch four. This was standard in
Production of the seven Monza models totaled 138,832 cars. The basic coupe and the Sport 2+2 ranked as the most popular body styles, with Estate Wagons being the least popular.
1978 Chevrolet Monza Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monza|| 2,643-2,777|| $3,622-$4,247||138,832|
Production for the 1978 Monza 2+2 coupe was around 65,072.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.