The 1976 Chevrolet Monza was available
with a five-speed manual transmission.
The "Dura-Built" 140-cubic inch four-cylinder, as used in the Chevrolet Vega, got some refinements, including hydraulic lifters that ran quieter and eliminated any need for valve adjustments. The basic four developed 70 horsepower, but two-barrel carburetion upped the rating to 84.
The 19746 Chevrolet Monza was available in two models: the dressy Towne Coupe and the 2+2 hatchback coupe. Total 1976 Monza output came to a modest 80,905 cars.
The coupe outsold the 2+2, and a new formal version of the Monza Towne Coupe debuted for 1975. It had "cabriolet" equipment that included a special vinyl roof and opera-type quarter windows for what Chevrolet called a "very sophisticated, classic look."
A new Spyder package was available for either body. This featured sport equipment that included the 84-horsepower engine, console, larger stabilizer bars, special shocks, and steel-belted radials. A new "stitched" instrument panel pad in 2+2 hatchbacks had woodgrain ornamentation, and the hump between bucket seats was reduced in height. A three-speed gearbox was standard, four-speed optional.1976 Chevrolet Monza Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monza|| 2,625-2,668|| $3,359-$3,727||80,905|
The Monza Town Coupe outsold the
2+2 hatchback for 1976, 46,735 to 34,170.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.