1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The 1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was
downsized in the name of fuel economy.
A 231-cubic-inch 105-horsepower V-6 engine was standard -- the first time six-cylinder power was offered in a Monte Carlo. For a little extra vitality, a 305-cubic-inch V-8 could be installed rated at 145 horsepower, but that was the limit. The engine upgrade cost just $150 extra. A three-speed manual gearshift was standard, but California Monte Carlos came only with automatic.
This "trim and timely new edition" with "stately stance and sculptured sides," the sales brochure insisted, "retains the unique personality of Monte Carlos past." It was "beautifully in tune with the times, yet emphatically apart from the crowd." The new front end held a grid-patterned grille flanked by single rectangular headlights.
Chevrolet pushed the interior as a personal "driver's
suite," in a car that "demands to be driven." Fresh styling
included a delta-spoked soft-vinyl steering wheel and a padded dashboard.
Options included power locks, Rally wheels (for the sport coupe only), Strato-bucket seats, a Power Skyroof, power windows, and a power trunk opener. The Monte Carlo's road-tuned suspension included front and rear stabilizer bars.
Of the 358,191 Monte Carlos produced in the 1978 model year, less than 40 percent were Landau coupes rather than basic sport coupes. The Monte Carlo Landau came with an automatic transmission, deluxe wheel covers, sport mirrors, pinstriping, elk-grain vinyl rear roof cover, and wide sill moldings.
Monte Carlos shared their platform, on a 108-inch wheelbase,
with the "new-size" Malibus -- which were a foot shorter and as much
as half a ton lighter than equivalent 1977 Chevelles.
The 1978 Monte Carlo retained the general lines of earlier models.
1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,040-3,175|| $4,785-$5,828||358,191 (approx.)|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.