1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The Monte Carlo's handsomely sculpted
bodysides were unchanged for 1976.
Without question, Montes were dominating their mid-size market segment. A total of 191,370 "S" coupes were built, against 161,902 Landau coupes, which cost $293 more.
Revised styling was led by stacked quad headlights and an elegant new horizontal-slot grille. Cleanly restyled taillights were flatter and actually plainer in appearance. Top Monte Carlo engine was the 175-horsepower 400-cubic-inch V-8, followed by a pair of 350-cubic-inch powerplants that whipped up 145 or 165 horses.
A thriftier 140-horsepower 305-cubic-inch V-8 became the standard engine, but the big-block 454 was gone. Three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic was now the standard Monte transmission.
A "Fashion Tone" paint scheme joined the options list,
with contrasting colors on portions of the front fenders, doors, and quarter
panels -- an attempt at a pseudo-classic look. Landau coupes had standard
Turbine II wheel covers, along with a vinyl half-roof and dual sport mirrors.
The 1976 Monte Carlo topped 1975 sales by more than 90,000 units.
1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,907|| $4,673-$4,699||353,272|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.