1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Monte Carlo styling followed a curvier muse for 1973.
A tachometer and extra gauges could be installed, and engine selections still included the big-block 454-cubic-inch V-8. Before departing to form his own company in 1972, general manager John Z. DeLorean had ordered that Monte Carlo suspensions be sport-tuned, to become better rivals to the top imported sedans.
Sporting swoopy, deeply sculpted bodysides, these Monte Carlos adopted opera windows in their rear roof quarters. A new wraparound front bumper crossed the fine-mesh grille. Headlights stood inboard of the fenders, alongside the grille, with parking lights mounted at the fender tips.
Overall length grew by four inches, width by two. Styling may have changed dramatically, but the car's basic long-hood/short-deck theme remained evident.
Owners gave high marks to the new Monte Carlo's quiet luxury, fine performance, and excellent handling characteristics. The redesigned suspension also gained the approval of road-testers at the car-buff magazines.
Engine choices began with a 307-cubic-inch V-8 and included a pair of 350-cubic-inch V-8s as well as the big 454 (now rated at 245 horsepower). No more 402-cubic-inch engines were available.
Production totaled an impressive 290,693 Monte Carlos in three trim levels: seldom-seen sport coupe, best-selling "S" coupe, and a Landau sport coupe that ranked in the middle of the sales picture. Motor Trend voted the Monte Carlo Landau its Car of the Year.
Monte Carlo options included
a vinyl top at $123 and an open-it-up Sky Roof for $325. Landau editions had
special sail-panel emblems, fender striping, custom wheels, and a rear
The 1973 Monte Carlo retained its familiar
long hood/short deck proportions.
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,713-3,722|| $3,415-$3,806||290,693|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.