1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Refinement continued to characterize the Monte Carlo for 1972.
The 1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was billed as "America's most attainable luxury car." The personal-luxury Monte Carlo flaunted a cleaner front-end appearance with parking lights flanking a fresh wide-mesh grille. Rear ends stuck with tall vertical taillights but added a horizontal bright trim strip above the bumper.
Top engine was the 270-horsepower (net) 454-cubic-inch V-8, followed by a 240-horsepower 402-cubic-inch V-8 -- still called a "396." The 454 V-8 cost an extra $261, while the 402 added $142 to a Monte's sticker.
Californians had to be content with a 165- or 175-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8 because the larger engines failed to meet that state's emissions standards.
"Owning a Monte Carlo is kind of like having your cake and driving it too," Chevrolet insisted, blending the best virtues of the luxury car and the sporty car. Base-priced at $3,362, the Monte Carlo could be fitted with a long list of luxury conveniences to suit its owner.
No more Super Sport options were available as marketers did not
want to dilute the Monte Carlo's luxury image. Lack of such fittings as a floor
shift or hood scoops was seen as a bonus, rather than a detriment, for this
"beautifully quiet, quietly beautiful" coupe.
Only modest changes were made to the 1972 Monte Carlo.
1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
|Model||Weight (lbs.) ||Price (new) ||Number built |
|Monte Carlo ||3,506 ||$3,362 |
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
Chevrolet Monte Carlos:
The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year.
Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.