1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The 1996 Monte Carlo was essentially
unchanged in its second model year.
LS and Z34
versions of the 1996 Chevrolet Monte
Carlo were again offered. Both came with dual air bags and anti-lock
brakes, though Z34s now boasted four-wheel discs.
Each model had its own engine: The LS came with a 160-horsepower 3.1-liter V-6. The Z34 was powered by a 3.4-liter Twin Dual Cam V-6 with 215 horsepower, five more than in 1995.
Both engines came with new five-year/100,000-mile coolant and 100,000-mile platinum-tipped spark plugs to extend service intervals. Meanwhile, the standard four-speed automatic transmission got Dexron III fluid that never needed replacement under normal driving conditions.
Newly standard on 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS models were power mirrors. New options included a leather-wrapped steering wheel with radio controls (standard on Z34), dual-zone temperature controls, cargo-area convenience net (standard on Z34), and leather interior with bucket seats. A power sunroof was scheduled for midyear introduction.
Carlo-bodied racers continued their winning ways on the stock-car tracks,
taking numerous events including the Daytona 500. Though the racing machines
shared little in common with their showroom brethren, the victories cast a halo
not only over the Monte Carlo, but over Chevrolet as well.
The Monte Carlo would continue for another decade as a front-drive two-door, making the 1997-2007 Monte Carlos fitting heirs to Chevy's personal-coupe legacy.
The Monte Carlo Z34 came standard with a
3.4-liter Twin Dual Cam V-6.
1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,306-3,436|| $17,255-$19,455||80,717|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.