1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS was the only Monte Carlo model
that didn't get more horsepower for 1985.
In the 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo base model, the previously standard 3.8-liter Chevy V-6 gave way to a larger 4.3-liter V-6 with throttle-body fuel injection. That brought along 20 extra horsepower, for a new total of 130.
The optional 5.0-liter V-8 likewise gained some ponies, via a jump in compression ratio. It jumped from 150 horsepower to 165. The High Output 5.0-liter V-8 in the 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS remained at 180 horsepower.
The V-6 and base V-8 could be backed by either a three- or four-speed automatic transmission, but the H.O. V-8 in the SS came only with the four-speed this year.
Though the base coupe carried on visually unchanged, the SS was a different story. Previously offered only in white or dark blue metallic, color choices were expanded to include silver, maroon, and black. "Removable glass roof panels" (T-tops) came on board as a midyear option.
Despite its aging
design, nearly 120,000 Monte Carlos found eager buyers in 1985. Though the
total was down somewhat from 1984, the SS model saw sales climb from 24,050 to
35,484, a sure sign that performance was making a comeback.
Color choices for the 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo SS expanded
from two to five, including this maroon hue.
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,139-3,385|| $9,540-$11,380||119,057|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.